A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,644
Currently Running With Scissors:
208 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hot Head- yarn substitution?  (Read 2482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

vpop
« on: September 22, 2004 08:43:31 PM »

I want to make the Hot Head beanie for my brother in law, but I want to make sure that it can be machine-washed... he's a pretty low maintenance guy and I'm sure he won't bother with anything like hand-washing.  Smiley

Do any of you have suggestions for bulky, machine-washable yarns I can use?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gmni
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004 07:17:42 AM »

I am making several of these using Lion woolease, which I think is machine washable- I use 2 strands of worsted weight and it seems about right.  There is also a bulky version of woolease that would be good.  It is 80/20 acrylic/wool.  Or just go with 2 strands of any worsted acrylic.  have fun
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004 12:17:04 PM »

Hi there, I just made two of these for my boyfriend.  I used Canadian Mission Falls 1824 Wool (superwash merino).  I'm not sure if it's truly bulky though, certainly not as much as Lamb's Pride, so I decided to tweak the gauge a little.  I used 5.5mm needles and got 20 rows for 4 inches and cast on 80 for the large size.  I decreased when it was about 8 inches long so it's 8 1/2 in total for a good fit for a man's head.  You can machine wash and dry it but on delicate cycle in lukewarm water.  Another good yarn alternative (although it's handwash only) is Rowan Polar, it knit well according to the pattern in the book.  Good luck with your hat!  It's a fun project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vpop
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004 04:20:10 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  Smiley  One more question- what's the total yardage you used for the hat?  I'm planning on making it a solid color and want to buy enough yarn!  I know that the pattern calls for 4 skeins @ 125 yds each, but I seriously doubt it needs that much if I were to make it in a solid color...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004 04:34:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure one skein (120 yards or so) will be enough for the large size. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004 06:43:56 AM »

Hi Smiley
Yeah, I only used about one skein-worth of yarn. I used some Patons UpCountry which is wool, but I also used some chunky acrylic from Zellers..I think it was Bernat. Its a fun hat to make. After I finished my boyfriend's I made myself one too, in bubble gum pink. You'll have to post the finished piece.
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sashers
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004 01:17:00 AM »

I used Lion Brand Jiffy on size 11s and it came out really well.  (I can't wear wool, so I used acrylic).  Looks great, is cheap, and comes in lots of colors. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004 06:53:22 PM by sashers » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Cozy Sweater Quilt
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...