A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
323 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serger Seams  (Read 2222 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
mgallant811
holllllah

she laced her perfume up with death

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2006 11:21:23 AM »

i have a 4 thread serger, this kenmore to be exact:

this may seem completely stupid but i can't figure out how to do a seam with it!  when i sew with right sides together and pull apart it's just a flatlock (i think that's what it's called?) stitch.  i tried out some library books and they said to play around with the tensions.  it seems like there's nothing that i can do that will fix this  Cry

so i haven't used it, since i have to go over my work with the regular sewing machine anyways.. do you have any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong?

to clarify - i want to sew/seam/cut off excess all in one step, and i'm just getting ladders on the right sides of the "seams".

THANKS!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tu sais que je n'aime pas ma réalité,
on ne peut pas fabriquer la vérité.
ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006 11:26:01 AM »

Can you post a photo of a seam sewn with your serger?

It can be helpful to put a different color cone for each thread to determine where the problem is. If your stitches are too loose, try making all the knobs tighter one number at a time. Also, try "flossing" the tension knobs with thread in case some fluff got stuck in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 28  instagram!
sparkly
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006 11:26:20 AM »

can you go to the store where you got it and ask for help?

by the way, i'm hoping to get a serger soon, but haven't a clue about them. i want one that isn't too impossible to use correctly. once you get your machine figured out, if you could post a little review, that would be awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mgallant811
holllllah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006 11:27:50 AM »

it was sears, so i don't think they'd be too helpful.

now i'm wishing i would've got it at the singer store, which was more expensive - but they offered lessons..

i'll try playing around with it again tonite, and get a photo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caradee
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 11:57:51 AM »

check that you've threaded correctly.  If sergers aren't correctly threaded on the bottom, the seam lines wont sew properly, and you'll just have the overlock part (that unravels without the seams).

Also, sears usually is really helpful with sewing machines.  I've had two machines from them, and each time I was offered a free "lesson" on using my machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
purlgurl

textile arts babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 12:48:43 PM »

I'm learning how to use my serger too.  It's been hard, but I found this video on YouTube of this girl demonstrating some basics... it might not fix the problem, but I thought it couldn't hurt to share just incase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSl3AQMYdxs

Good luck with your Kenmore and please post any tips you come up with for us serger newbies Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006 05:27:10 PM »

I don't have a sears model so I'm not sure how much I can help, but in addition to the tensions, you'll have knob(s) on the side that control the types of stitches you can make with your machine and how close or far apart the stitches are from each other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Divasews
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006 05:26:31 AM »

I have this exact serger. I love it and have never had any problems with it. Did you try to rethread it? If so there is  a particular order it must be threaded in. Is the blade cutting at all?

After you sew the fabric right sides together is it attached at all? If they are, but you can pull them apart and see the threads from the right side it really sounds like a tension issue, especially with the two needle threads.  Set all the tension dials to 3. serge some. Adjust each dial individually just a bit and serge some more. Most of the time my needle tensions are set at about 3 and my upper and lower loopers are at about 4/5 or 5/6 respectively. Also open up your covers and have a look. Make sure the red lever before the throat plate is set to 'S' for serging and not to 'R'for rolled hems.

If you cant figure it out take some pics of it and Ill try to help you. Open up the covers and take a pic from the front, the right side. Please make sure that they are clear so I can see what you have things set at.   email me at [email protected]   If you want I can even take pics of my machine and how I have it set up. I cant do this until tonight when I get home from the lab.

Also the manual sucks for this machine. I highly reccommend Singers Sewing with a Serger.

HTH
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006 05:29:13 AM by Divasews » THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006 08:15:51 AM »

This may be a really dumb question but are you using both needles?  In a flat lock the seam turns over so that the seam shows.  When regularly serging, the left needle sews on the outside of the seam and the right needles sews over the seam so that it can't turn over.

Ok, here's the secret to adjusting the serger...the majority of your tension is controlled by the left needle and the lower looper.  If you get the right relationship between those two, the rest is easy to set.  I would start with tightening the tension on the lower looper.  It should gently wrap over the edge of the fabric with no pucker and no loops. 

Many sergers also have a knob inside that set the depth of the cut of the knife.  If you are cutting off too much of the fabric, you would also be able to flip the fabric into an overlock.  Some machines have a slide that controls the depth of the fork.  (That is the part that the stitches are formed around.)  You may have to do some adjusting to these too.   Even if your tension is set correctly, if your cut is too narrow and your stitches too wide, it will still allow the seam to roll open (sorry, that's just the best way I know to describe what seems to be happening to you.) 

I wish it were easier to explain sergers without illustrations...but I don't know a way.  Perhaps this will help a little.  I think sergers are complicated. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mgallant811
holllllah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006 03:25:25 PM »

i haven't got a chance to work with it and get a photo, but thanks girls!!  i'll keep this stuff in mind and try to see if it's a tension problem or what!  thanks again.  i'll post a photo if i can't get past the problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...