A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,825
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted/felted Christmas ornaments or pins for clothing  (Read 1139 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

artteacher
« on: November 27, 2006 11:46:42 PM »

I experimented this past weekend and made some simple Christmas gifts.  I made them to be lapel pins for clothing- but, they could just as easily be Christmas ornaments or tied onto packages.

I loosely knitted a tree shape out of green wool and added a brown trunk.  I felted one to see if I was on the right track-- size wise (you can tell that the prototype is a bit bigger in size Cheesy) and made a few more- felted them.. let them dry for 2 days. 

I sewed and stitched trim and some bangles/beads and whatever I could find in my crafting supplies for the decorations.  I just happened to have a star shape for the top.. w/ a hole in the middle and I discovered that if I stitched the star on in every direction-- the stitching looked like another star.  They will have pins sewed on the back so they can be put onto coats or clothing.  If you need more help- just let me know- but, truthfully.. I just winged it and no matter what they all ended up looking about the same.

[/img]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a brand new blog:  *I'm one with the masses now!

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/
knits_with_animals
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006 04:23:35 AM »

How creative!  They look great and the embellishing sounds like a fun way to use up odds and ends. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artteacher
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006 04:40:17 AM »

Thanks for your kind words.  I am really looking forward to giving them to the secretaries where I work- as a token gift to start the holidays- I work at a school- so, they'll fit right in!  Cheesy (they'll get a real gift later)

I might work on them some more and add a few more 'decorations' before I give them to them next week.

I wish that I had other colors in wool to make some more shapes- I did experiment and made a holly leaf w/ red berries and a big poinsettia flower that I'll keep for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
subloke
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006 07:31:52 AM »

These look great.  What a good idea.  And, now, I know what I can do with the not-enough-for-a-project amount of green wool I have! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
artteacher
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006 09:01:51 AM »

You're welcome.. they were such fun to do- and fast!  The finished size of most of them is about 2" x 3".. and I think that I cast on like 18 stitches??  Something like that.. just cast it on and see if that looks best?  Some I knitted from the top down and most from the bottom up.. and the bottom up seemed easier to control-- (easier to control the decreases on the ends to me?)

I will post photos of the holly leaf w/berries and the poinsettia flower that I made when I have time.  They also turned out really good- it really did make me wish that I had other colors in wool.  Maybe, I now have a legitimate reason to buy some more wool yarn this weekend? Cheesy

Do post a photo when you make them..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Elf on a Shelf Doll
Time to Feast!
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Pie Wontons

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...