A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
292 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: art history nerd needs help (any costume historians around?)  (Read 1062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ambear
if you want me to, i'll cook and sew.

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2006 08:44:41 PM »

hello, recently I was looking at the Michelangelo painting of Sybil in the Sistine Chapel, and I noticed that her dress is highly unusual. Anybody want to guess how its made, and what makes it stay up? I'd like to try and reproduce it, but have no idea where to begin for the bust portion.
http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/michelan/p-michel20.htm sybil (Michelangelo, sistine chapel)

also, if you're also an art history geek, and love fabric, check out the dress in this bronzino painting. its insanely gorgeous:
http://www.gfmer.ch/Art_for_Health/Images/Italian_Renaissance/Bronzino_Eleonora.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

je suis riche, mais sans un sous.
http://www.sambaelegua.com/listen.html
Kitten0Face

"We're All Mad Here"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006 09:06:39 PM »

The only thingI can see if the sash under the bust.  If you wanted to re-create it, you could tack the orangey part to the white part.

Does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambear
if you want me to, i'll cook and sew.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006 06:32:27 AM »

not really but thank you. i understand that the sash helps t hold it up, but the corners of the orange portion are stiff, so i wonder what they are made of...also its very lowcut to be a strapless dress.
my teacher is unsure wether it is historically accurate or not...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

je suis riche, mais sans un sous.
http://www.sambaelegua.com/listen.html
Kitten0Face

"We're All Mad Here"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006 09:26:33 AM »

I don't know about anything like that historically, but I've only had a brief overview.

As far as the laws of reality and science and gravity go howver... Thats another story Smiley

If you wanted it to be stiff, you could always put boning it it, the wider plastic type, like used in eveningwear/ prom dresses.  Plus, since it's plastic, you could always take it back out and heat it and curve it slightly if it looks too straight once it's inserted.

It's definatley a cool design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deathslilsister

elegantly waisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006 09:33:11 AM »

Your teacher's probably right, I think it's probably not historically accurate, but if you did want to make a copy, it looks like the side seam of the dress above and just below the sash has holes in it for lacing (probably too early for buttons), so, at least in the artists' head, that's probably how it stayed up, and it's in disarray as it's shown in the painting. 

It also looks like there's some kind of fastening or lacing at the center back, so it might be that the dress stays up by being laced in the back and at both side seams, like some corsets that have several panels that lace together.  You could probably make the bodice stiff either with some interfacing, or with a heavy lining, like duck or twill. 

It is a really neat design, I'd love to see pictures if you give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006 04:52:56 PM »

historically I don't thing anyone wore a dress like that, and certainly not in Michaelangelo's time.  Micky was probably using artistic license to add to compostion of the painting.

However if you want to create the dress,  it is certainly do-able with modern sewing techniques and materials.  I would use plastic boneing and very heavy interfacing.

I would create this in 3 parts.
The white under dress.  I would use a dress with a tight fitting bodice with boneing to keep it from falling down.  Much like a prom dress.
The orangey over dress.  More plastic boneing and stiff interfacing.  I would have snaps or hooks so I could attach it to the bodice of the white under dress,  There appears to be lacing in the centre back.  I would recreate this look  but I wouldn't actually have it as functioning lacing.
Then a separate sash.  The sash is mostly decorational and to pull the over dress into the waist.  It would not be actually used to hold the over dress up.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006 05:07:19 PM by qazicat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...