A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,577
Currently Running With Scissors:
128 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seija yarn--how much do I need?  (Read 855 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sarahpanda
« on: November 21, 2006 01:39:28 PM »

Okay crocheters, I'm trying to make the seija set from the Happy Hooker. I went to buy the yarn and it occurred to me that I couldn't tell whether I needed a TOTAL of 335 yds of yarn split between the three colors, or whether EACH yarn requires 335 yds (which is, needless to say, a lot of yarn). It says one skein each, is a skein usually so much yarn?

The site I'm looking at (www.knitpicks.com) has balls of yarn that are worsted weight but only 75 yds apiece. Do I buy 5 total balls of yarn (or 6, two of each color) or 5 balls for EACH COLOR?! That seems like a lot of yarn for a tiny blanket and hat!

Thanks for the advice. I'm such a noob!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006 10:35:57 AM by sarahpanda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006 09:19:59 PM »

I just took a look at the pattern--it IS 335 yards in each skein for each color.  The problem is, the pattern doesn't actually tell you how much of the yarn you'll use for the hat and blanket.  it is a lot of yarn, but keep in mind that crochet uses a lot of yarn and you're using a smaller hook, so it will take more stitches to make the blanket that size.  I wouldn't take a chance in getting less yarn, but I'm afraid of running out of yarn mid-project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
cranteach

I only wish I were as cool as my kid.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006 07:45:21 AM »

I made the sejia set with Red Heart plush (278 yards per skein -- those bargain yarns come with a lot of yardage!)  I bought three skeins so I'd have three colors, and it was cheap.

DisneyFan is right, the problem is that it tells you how much you buy if you buy the brand they list, but it doesn't tell you how much you use.  I had maybe a third to a half of a skein left when I finished the set.  Not a big deal at WalMart prices, but I wouldn't buy that much KnitPicks.

The knitpicks websites has some projects that they tell you how much yarn to buy.  Maybe you could find a similar pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahpanda
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006 05:25:50 AM »

Thanks for the advice crocheters! I think I will go to an actual yarn store and see if they can advise me. I'll wait to do online shopping until I'm more familiar with this stuff--it's just too confusing.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Collapsible Tier Tray
Well, Hello (Art)Dolly!
Meatless Monday: Green Tomato Pie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...