A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 314,798
Currently Running With Scissors:
251 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Backyard Critters (Knit Amigurumi) Owl, Opossum & Deer  (Read 70173 times)
Tags for this thread: amigurumi , opossum , deer , owl , bunny , rabbit , skunk , squirrel , raccoon , fox , hedgehog , beaver , bear  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftyalien
« on: November 18, 2006 04:12:37 PM »

Did you ever take on the impossible and overly ambitious project just because your stupid brain says, "yes, you can do that," instead of, "wow - you're crazy!"

I finished that project a couple of weeks ago. My "Backyard Critters" collection. Never ever start a collection that has at least 9 different versions without some kind of psychological supervision. My critters made me insane.

First, I couldn't find that particular color of gray-brown that squirrels are. Nor could I catch one and bring it with me to the yarn store. Sure, they'd mock me, sitting within arms reach on the table in the backyard...but could you really see me taking a squirrel out of a bag to hold him up to the yarn in some yarn store. (of course I'd have to put them both in good lighting) And I went to the 3 "yarn" stores in my area (without a squirrel in tow). And all but 1 was closed for the labor day weekend-more-than-a-weekend vacation. So I got yarn that was WAY to chunky. And it hurt my hands when I knit. Finally thoug, one reopened and I was in luck.

(I need a sheep or two and some dye.)

Then, then I tell you, I worked on my chipmunk. I had one finished. And not but a few hours later I was out by the truck and a chipmunk ran over my foot, specifically showing me that his stripes were BLACK-WHITE-BLACK and not the WHITE-BLACK-WHITE that I had done on my chipmunk. And he ran back over the foot a few more times just to rub it in. (and he almost ran up my leg, but he jumped off when he saw that the tree was sorta alive.)

But I never knit as many prototypes as I did for Mr. Raccoon. I started out trying to knit a raccoon in August. I finally finished one the last week of October. Pain in the butt he was, but he's a cutie so I forgive him.

I did my hedgehog's spines using up some yarn that I had - Lionbrand Wool-Ease. And I'm still wondering what fibers were in it because after I felted the body and started cutting the loops I felt like I had attacked a raffia hedgehog or something. I thought it was wool-ease and not wool-trees.

But I don't think I had as much fun as when I took them out into the yard to photograph. I probably would have had more fun if I had batteries for the camera and wasn't on a short leash of an extension cord (and I also had a run in with an assasin "wheel" bug blocking my doorway and I named him Gonzo.)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007 09:02:37 AM by craftyalien » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TinkerMonroe
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006 04:13:54 PM »

OMG I think I just passed out from too much cuteness. gah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glue, stuck to my shoe.

Blog
I joined the revolution! I Wisted!
fizzle7033
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006 04:16:23 PM »

Those are the cutest creatures  I have ever seen!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!

Current swaps

Letter and a Craft
Dragon Swap
Owl Swap
Little Visitor VI
Little Visitor VII
norianai
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006 04:23:45 PM »

Those are absolutely adorable!!!  You did a GREAT job.  And I loved reading your adventures on getting them done too.  I know you went through a lot to do do them, but it sounds like it was really fun at the same time.  I lvoe them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soobeeoz
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006 04:24:42 PM »

They're so cute!  You did a wonderful job.  Smiley    
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please feel free to check out my Dating and Tiffany Ring blogs.  A few more are listed on my profile page.  Smiley

http://www.safedatings.com

http://www.cheapweddingringssets.com
dollmaker

Sweet Home Alabama...you made that!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006 04:29:06 PM »

Holy they are so cute!!! I just want to hug them all !  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo
gerbilocity
i knit therefore I am

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006 04:32:48 PM »

Although they may have driven  you insane, they might be the cutest things ever! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slb2724
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006 04:38:15 PM »

oh my god!!!! you have no idea how much i want those! esp. the beaver, fox, raccoon, and skunk!!!1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
KittyKurl
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006 04:47:37 PM »

Wow, those are adorable! They're amazing! I think after all your hard work and pain, they were definately worth it  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Fabric Wists
fugazi123
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006 04:55:39 PM »

AHHHH! those are so cute!! good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rarararrr.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs
Rainy Days
Meatless Monday: Semlor aka Swedish Cream Buns

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...