A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finding a similiar fabric  (Read 1416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Elphelba
« on: November 06, 2006 05:33:32 AM »

I fell in love with this shirt from lipservice. The $100 price tag was not so lovable. I'm 100% convinced that I can make the actual shirt itself, but half of it's charm lies in this fabric (it's a cotton dobby lawn). I've looked everywhere but can't find anything really coprable. Do any of you have any ideas? (Something inside the US is preferable, but If they ship to the US, I love the shirt enough to pay the international shipping if needed)

Thanks, and here is the pic.
The top looks shinier than the skirt, but they are really just different colors of the same fabric. I'd love to do this shirt in black, but if the effect of the fabric is more important to me than the color, so I would be willing to do it in a different color.

It also has a large black lace applique in the back. Does anyone know where to get a large black lace applique? (At least that's what I think it's called....the fabric behind it has been cut away)

Thanks...and I've just realized how picky I can be....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006 05:35:13 AM by Elphelba » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Elphelba
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006 10:30:10 AM »

No one has any ideas? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006 11:00:27 AM »

Looks similar to burnout fabric maybe you can find some of that, I hear it's popular with home sewers right now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006 11:44:14 AM »

Now that I look at it, I totally agree. Now the trick is to find a burnout that is striped....Does anyone know a place that has such an animal?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006 11:59:48 AM »

This fabric has been popular for blouses for years but for the life of me, I don't know what it is called.  Usually it is seen in pale colors, yellow, white, pink, cream, blue and often the stripe is a little thinner but the width of the stripe does vary.  It is possible it is called Dimity but I'm just not sure.  It could just as easily be a tone on tone organza or batiste.  I've looked here and I just don't see anything like that, but there are a lot of places at this site I haven't looked.  This is a good fabric link and worth a browse if you are so inclined...

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_dept_items.asp?Shopper_id=9402116932319402&Store_id=198&Page_Id=17&categ_id=1

They are a good source of heirloom fabrics.

You might also browse through denverfabrics.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tivaclare
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006 12:05:45 PM »

My Walmart has tons of off the wall fabrics in black in the $1 section right now. You might want to check there. I'm always a little surprised at what I do, and do not find there. I once got heavy denim for $1yd and then found the exact same fabric at Joanns for $14/yd.

cheeptrims.com sells a lot of lace items. I'm not sure, but they may have an order min.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006 08:19:08 AM »

Thanks everyone. There's a local fabric shop that will special order a lot of stuff. Hopefully they'll be able to hook me up with something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

washu
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006 08:51:37 AM »

I've seen that lawn in white before.  You could dye it.  As for the applique, Fabric Depot here in Portland has a bunch of that kind of thing special order mainly for bridal (white), but they can get other colors too, I am pretty sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006 03:34:51 PM »

Another suggestion would be to use a chiffon and stitch your own trim on it in rows.  I could end up being less than trying to search the fabric out or doing special order.  Many couture designs create their own fabric by sewing several yards of trim together to form their own fashion fabric.

If you live in the Northwest, Pacific Fabrics is a great place to find specialty type fabrics at the most reasonable prices.

Good Luck, I think both the blouse and skirt are nice classic designs you could wear for years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Elphelba
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006 05:46:45 PM »

I really like the trim idea, or getting it in white and just dying it. Washu, do you recall where you saw the white fabric?

Sophisticated Hippie - do you think it would work if i got a slightly stretchy sheer material to sew the trim onto, or should I just stick with something non-stretch?

Thanks again you guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...