A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 315,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
126 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Giant Rectangle Granny Square Afghan CAL (pattern link included)  (Read 108690 times)
Tags for this thread: granny_square  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Skellerz
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2008 10:53:55 AM »

Progress shot!

I'm going to try to keep it all in random colors of verigated yarn.
It's not meant to be particularly pretty Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008 10:56:20 AM by Skellerz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2008 02:32:30 PM »

It's coming along very nicely Skellerz.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
Skellerz
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2008 08:11:51 PM »

Thank you ^.^
I finished off that last skein today.
I need to wait till payday to get another.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2008 02:25:55 PM »

Skellerz, you say the effect isn't "meant to be particularly pretty", but I find it both odd (because you don't usually see different variegateds up next to each other) and oddly appealing. It'll be interesting to see how it progresses.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Skellerz
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2008 09:12:48 PM »

Well, I finally broke down and put some solid stash yarn into it, but I plan to go back to verigated yarns once my acrylic stash is used up *this afghan is prolly gonna be HUGE*.
I really like the verigated look for it too, but it started off as a stash-buster, so I'd better bust some stash before I buy any more yarn for it :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2008 03:20:38 PM »

Are people adding borders to their giant grannies? Somewhere (probably not Craftster) I read someone saying that adding a row or two or three of single crochet would "stabilize" the giant granny square afghan. Does this actually make a difference? It's been a while, but I've looked at a lot of photos of giant granny afghans and I only remember seeing one with a sc border; it could be there were more and I only noticed that one because it looked good. For that matter, I only remember seeing a handful with any kind of border. Does the border really serve a purpose beyond appearance?

I'm asking because I recently completed one big granny square lapghan (completed, that is, unless I decide to add a border) and have only a few rounds left on a rectangular one with ErinLindsay's great pattern. They seem pretty sturdy without a border to me.

And FWIW, if anyone is considering trying either a giant rectangular granny square from ErinLindsey's pattern or a giant square, just do it. They work up fast, without a lot of tedious sewing together, and the number of possible combinations of colors and widths of stripes is endless. I'm already thinking I may do some baby-sized ones as stashbusting.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
ErinLindsey
« Reply #226 on: June 05, 2008 08:35:38 PM »

Yes, it does stabilize the afghan a bit for people who crochet loosely. (I've made a couple with a rather large hook, and thought they looked a lot better with an edging)

I usually put some sort of an edging on all of my rectangle afghans. Mostly because I think they look better with a round or two of a hdc on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2008 07:13:02 PM »

Thank you for the response. Sorry I took so long to get back here and see it.

I seem to have an average kind of tension--not loose, not tight--so I don't think I need the border, but I agree that sometimes it might look better to have one.

FWIW, the decision was made for me on my rectangle one. I had to go buy additional yarn for my last stripe and discovered that what so many people say is true: Red Heart has gotten thinner over the past year or so. My dcs with the new RH were visibly smaller than those made with my older RH. I figured I needed a row of sc to add the wee bit of missing height. Appearance-wise, I suppose I could add a another couple of sc rows to make a narrow decorative stripe around the edge, but I'm almost out of the required color, so I'm calling it done unless I change my mind before I next visit its intended recipient.

Oh, and as you're reading this thread, ErinLindsey, thank you for posting your late grandmother's pattern for everyone to enjoy, not to mention including such clear photos. I've already started my second afghan from the pattern, a baby-sized one starting with a ch24 instead of 48. I find this pattern also makes a cute bookmark, if you use size 10 thread and stop after three rounds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faerubin

The Ghost Comes Out In Rags

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 13, 2008 08:22:53 AM »

I'm joining this. Smiley
I have these 4 big granny squares that I sewed together, but it's a square, and I want it to be a rectangle. So I'm using all my left over yarn from them all and making a rectangle to add on. I took some pics, but the lighting was really bad, so you can't see a thing.

I'll post the pics when I have better ones. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2008 10:44:02 PM »

I look forward to seeing them!

Mine's turned into a true stashbusting blanket.
I have all my acrylic yarn stuffed in my knit/crochet bag for this behemoth Smiley
That way I'll bust some stash on some stuff I'm never going to knit with (for the record, you guys have the right idea, crochet is MUCH faster), and I'll have a nice comfy afghan for my dorm room that's as crazy looking as my mental state Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...