A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,293
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bad pics but decent KANZASHI  (Read 1839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 28, 2006 02:41:12 PM »

I am  learning,  see mistakes??  I know  bad  photos  but if  you can  give  advice  please  do.  thanks..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Spangle
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006 03:39:53 PM »

Wow, you have been busy! I think the hardest part of making kanzashi is not folding the petals, it's getting them all joined together and sitting just right. Don't you agree? So, here are some tips that might help:

Work with a ruler or cutting mat. I make my flowers sitting at the table with a cutting mat that measures in 1cm squares. So when I've folded the petals, stuck a pin through to hold each one together, I then line up the tip with one line on the grid, and trim the points off to a certain mark along the grid, at say, 3cm. With the next petal, I then know exactly where to trim it. So, I have all the petals exactly the same size.

Next comes threading them together. Again, I hold the tip of the petal along a grid-line and poke the needle through, usually at 2.5cm. Keep going, threading all petals through at the same measured distance from the tip. Now if you let the petals dangle on the thread they should all drop down exactly the same distance.

This next bit is important for getting them to come together nicely:
Trim again, close to the point where the thread goes through each petal. This is fiddly to do, but really makes a difference to the end result. Don't trim so close that your fabric might fray right up to the thread point, I usually trim a few mm away from the thread. I find that if there's too much fabric left in the centre of the flower (i.e. between the thread point and the dead centre) the petals can't sit right.

Now bring all the petals close together in the middle of the thread (for poly/cotton type fabrics like you've used, I find more is better when it comes to the number of petals, like 8-10 or so), but don't squash them up together too tightly.

Then you can bring the ends of your thread together and tie so the petals form a circle.

Good luck! Keep practicing! I'm going to hunt out some of my early attempts to show you :-)

Cheers,
Miriam
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006 03:57:08 PM »

great  tips  thanks a  bunch!!  and  would  love to  see your  early work LOL.  funny thing is  my kids 6 and 8 years ol) and I sat and  folded   a  big  bunch of  petals and that is  definately the  easy part.  the  kids  love  helping  with it.  and they  help  pick  which  buttons to  use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...