A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
166 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Iron-on interfacing--can I sew it?  (Read 916 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sarahpanda
« on: October 27, 2006 08:32:57 AM »

I'm making a purse from a book, and the instructions are less thorough than I would like. The instructions say to iron the interfacing to wrong side of the fabric that will be on the OUTSIDE of the bag, which makes sense. So I got iron-on fusible interfacing and I did that--but the measurements of the interfacing are the same size or BIGGER than the fabric pieces.

This means that I will have to sew together the thick interfacing (with the fabric attached) because even the seam allowance has interfacing. I'm worried about what this will do to my sewing machine. I've never worked with interfacing before and now I wish I'd gotten the sew-in kind, but now I'm stuck!

So I guess my question is: Will my ordinary sewing machine handle the interfacing? Is there a special foot I should use? Would it be better to sew by hand with a big-ass needle? It's pretty firm and thick interfacing, I don't even know if two layers of it will fit under my regular sewing machine foot!  Sad

Thanks in advance for any advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006 08:54:00 AM »

Maybe I'm understanding something wrong here, but wouldn't you still have to sew thru all those layers, even if it were sew-in interfacing?

At any rate, I wouldn't worry too much about.  The only way you'll know if your machine can handle it is to try it out.  Go slowly and see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
katalina
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006 09:46:10 AM »

Its usually recommended to trim the interfacing to be a little smaller than the pattern pieces its getting ironed on to, to allow for seams.

However, I have had instances where I had to sew through interfacing and I didn't have a problem.  I didn't even have to change my tension or seam length.

Try it on some scrap paper - you dont even have to iron it, just take two pieces of fabric and two pieces of scrap interfacing, pin them together and see how your machine handles it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rubywoo
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006 09:44:49 AM »

With sew in interfacing you would still have to have the interfacing the same size as the pattern pieces so that you can sew it to your fabric. You need to sew them together close to the edge so that when you sew your pieces together with your regular seam allowance the stitching from putting the fabric and interfacing together does not show. So basically using sew-in interfacing is no easier. I'm sure your machine can hadle it. I have sewn some of the thickest interfacing in that manner many times and my sewing machine is just fine. I have a regular sewing machine, nothing industrial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahpanda
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006 09:54:47 AM »

Thank you everyone, I'll be trying to sew this baby together this week so I'll let everyone know if my machine explodes or something.

Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...