A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,585
Currently Running With Scissors:
220 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vinyl and Photoshop  (Read 14683 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Spork
« on: September 10, 2004 11:45:02 AM »

This is fun- I've made a lot of purses and bags and things with pictures on them by drawing the picture, scanning it, printing it on printable fabric, then ironing clear vinyl on top of it. I LOVE using this technique because it's durable, but it's also a little stiff. Here are some little wallet/things that I did that way and used layered blue vinyl to do the water. Some other editions are in the works, with layered vinyl to create other foregrounds like trees with different creatures in the back.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
deadpixel

Even Lois Lane loves Edward G. Robinson.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004 12:34:57 PM »

omigod, are those for sale???  they are so tasty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can see a lot of the world from railings."
- Ringo
Spork
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004 12:50:27 PM »

Sure, if you'd like one- send me a message. I just took this picture, so they're all right here on hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boygirlparty

hi, i'm susie ghahremani / boygirlparty.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004 01:00:35 PM »

those look awesome!  i've never printed on fabric before - what kind of fabric do you use?  do you change your printer's settings?
those clutches are so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my site: boygirlparty.com: boygirlparty.com
http://shop.boygirlparty.com: the shop at boygirlparty.com
etsy instagram
Spork
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004 01:25:23 PM »

Thanks. You can buy sheets in stores like Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics... there are fabric sheets that are stuck to paper (that you can reuse with your own fabric if it's thin, white, cotton) and there are sheets that are fabric with iron-on backing so that you don't have to sew if you don't want to- perfect for picture pillows or quilts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spork
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004 01:26:56 PM »

The best thing is that you don't have to deal with the stress of iron-on transfers that seem to play a game of Russian Roulette with your project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geedownie
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004 01:30:24 PM »

Those.
Are.
SO.
AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spork
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004 02:25:27 PM »

Thanks. Wink Yeah, that's me. The blue vinyl is just upholstery stuff, not iron-on, I've only seen clear as well. I know what you mean about the vinyl getting tough (I do the vinyl before sewing too) and what I do to try and minimize that is keep my iron on constantly and warm it up before reversing it, using the protective sheet, then when it's right-side-out and all flat, I iron it again to get rid of whatever mess it left behind. Kind of a pain, now that I think about it. (Luckily I just got a job doing graphic design for a clothing/screenprinting co.- so I'm just going to avoid that whole process now  Cheesy)

But if anyone wants these- and wants to do a random swap? I'd much rather get rid of them that way than to sell them.

Oh, and one more thing- the colors- it is so much fun to go into Photoshop- just change the hue/saturation, and voila- a whole new color scheme! All of the Nessys match the fabric on the back- hot pink/hot pink corduroy, red/red cotton, magenta/magenta slinky stuff... and with no manual color changing  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rodent
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004 02:32:34 PM »

wow they are amazing Smiley I wish we have big craft shops like Joann in New Zealand...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be kind please rewind
Spork
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004 03:22:19 PM »

I'm sure they have it somewhere. I have this thing for trying to make my stuff look as manufactured as possible- and the vinyl did the trick. Nessy, however, was created before Streamline came into my life Cry- so even for such a simple drawing, I spent a lot of time perfecting the lines cuz I'm an anal perfectionist who's never satisfied Tongue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf
The Birds and The Bees

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...