A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
282 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: low budget: any ideas to decorate the house?  (Read 1580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
foxorama08
« on: October 23, 2006 12:08:44 PM »

Hello everybody! I just moved into a new neighbourhood, and we'd love to decorate our new house for halloween, but since we just spent a great deal of money on house things, we don't have a large budget for this. Does anyone have any fun idea's on how to create a scary theme to the driveway/house for a small budget?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacybee
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006 02:55:19 PM »

Cheesecloth is pretty cheap!  Get some of that and hang it in your windows.  Rip random holes in it to make it tattered and worn.  You could cut out black construction paper figures to put behind it so it looks like someone lurking in the window or something.

I don't know how much time you have to put into it, but we made gravestones out of insulation foam.  I think we got 3-4 out of a $10 sheet, and then spray it down with some of that spraypaint that looks like stone (like $7 a can... two cans should do you).

There's a bunch of tutorials on here about how to make gravestones out of insulation foam if that floats your boat. =)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

anthropologal
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006 04:28:28 PM »

I made a scary curtain out of a cut up black trash bag to hang in my porch (cut down one side and open up the bottom, then cut strips from the bottom up and pull out the plastic to make them longer), then cut holes in the bottom of trick-or-treat pumpkin buckets and put them over the lights leading up to my house.  I also added some $.67 spiderwebs to the bricks and stuck some candles in the mulch for a spooky effect.  They'll be lit on Halloween night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookem
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006 07:50:02 PM »

cu out big cutouts for your windows from weed mat- check out martha stewart.com, theres lots of cheap ideas.

or make paper bag lanterns. take a brown paper bag, on one side draw on a scary face/ witch/ cat etc, and cut it out. on the inside of the bag, glue a piece of wax or parchment paper behind the cut out design.

to use, open up the bag, fill the bottom with a bit of sand (dry beas, rice or gravel works too) place a stout candle in the middle and voila! these work best if you trim about 3 inches off the top of bags so there's no chance of them getting set alight by the candle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
magdalen

an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006 03:36:16 PM »

my favorite cheap decoration is twigs from the year put into a tin can and decorated with those fake spider webs.  Its super easy and turns out looking like a miniature spooky tree.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalen.etsy.com
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006 03:47:49 PM »

What about using construction paper to make orange and black paper chains!  The kids can do this one...you can even use brown paper grocery bags.  All you need is scissors, paper and a glue stick!

You can use cardboard to make your 'scary shape's or tombstones....get it free from your grocery store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spapeggyandmeatballs

This is not good! Worlds are colliding!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006 04:40:40 PM »

I don't have a lot of Halloween decorations, so I finally broke down and bought 2 bags of those pull-apart fake spiderwebs. They were $1.50 each. I decorated a chandelier-light-thing, our spiral staircase, and our whole front porch....and I only used 1/2 of one of the bags. Because you stetch it out so much a little bit of it goes a long way. So, it was really good deal.

I also used black ribbon that I had to make spiderwebs (just taped across) in some of our smaller windows upstairs...It looks cool from the street.

Just some cheap ideas that don't take too much effort!

spapeggyandmeatballs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...