A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 319,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Curiously Clever Clogs anyone?  (Read 6448 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

NeedlesandYarn

Crafts and the Comp...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006 07:17:17 AM »

I'm using a 16" Clover bamboo circular needle but straights would work.  I think DPN's might be a tiny bit short.  You WILL need the DPN's for the attached I-cord that happens at the very end of the pattern.
Hope that helps.
Jennifer
jensknitsnwrits.blogspot.com
curiouslycleverclogs.blogspot.com

OK so I'm good on circs or straights whichever...should i invest in size 13 dpns or am i probably good with the 8's? Sorry for all the questions!  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Jenny~*
http://jennyknits.blogspot.com
Yarn and Coffee...what else does a girl need?

I love: Harry Potter, Books, Movies, Knitting, Jewelry Making, Friends and Family
I dislike: backstabbers, not knowing how to crochet, Snape

Currently in: Dishalicious Dishcloth Swap
jenknits2
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006 07:58:00 AM »

Not sure what you mean by 8's but I suppose you could make I-cord with a shorter circular needle.  Kind of a pain but possible since it does have two points.  I would probably get the size 13 DPN's or use 15's or 11's in DPN for the I-cord if that's what you have.  Most of the felted knits patterns I've seen call for size 13's so you'll probably use them again sometime if you do any other felted knits.  I just got some cheap Lion Brand ones at the craft store.  They're plastic and actually kinda pretty.
Jennifer
jensknitsnwrits.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006 08:45:28 PM »

I haven't yet been added to the kal on blogspot, so I'll post my in progress photos here.

the colors are knitpicks wool of the andes in amethyst heather, chambray, and hyacinth.  I'm using glass beads I bought at michael's.

these have been going so quickly.  I'm confident that I'll have them done by Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigomuse

Zira the monkey - http://ziraontour.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006 10:52:31 AM »

Hi All!

Edited 11-29-06: There are pictures of the finished clogs on my blog (Apparently, I haven't posted enough at Craftster to be allowed to put pictures up. Funny, seems like I used to be able to.) Anyhoo, I'm adding a full blog entry on them later today at http://indigomuse.blogspot.com .

I finished my first pair on Friday and immediately cast on and have nearly completed another pair in just two days. I'm making these for Christmas gifts for my family. I promise to post pictures here and on my blog once I don't have my testosterone trio running around in the next day or so.

A few comments (these are purely my observations and my opinion and I understand that not everyone will have the same experience):

* IMHO, this pattern has a high fidget factor. I've been knitting for 20 plus years and have knit lace, fair isle, cables, etc. so I'm okay with fidgety patterns. That being said, the pattern is definitely worth fidgeting through.
* You fly through the sections of the main slipper body and inner sole. Where it gets fidgety is when you begin to attach the outer sole to the main slipper body.
* I had a hard time envisioning how this pattern was constructed. There is a fair amount of written detail about it but I'm a very visual person and could not for the life of me figure out how the outer sole was attached to the main body (even though there are pictures of this too). After knitting the first slipper, I finally figured it out. I'll post some progress pictures so those of you who are visual people like me can see what I'm talking about. Needless to say, my first slipper is a lot more "special" than the second one. Unless I point out the issues though, you can't tell that its kinda twisted and wonky because felting concealed a number of the issues.
* I knit mine with a single strand of worsted weight yarn vs. the double strand that is recommended. Mostly because I didn't want to waste a ton of yarn on the first pair just in case they didn't turn out so good. I personally tend not to like hot feet and even single stranded, these babies are plenty warm and comfy. The sole is still nice and squishy and they're quite sturdy. I also didn't add the beads because I plan to needle felt designs on the tops of the slippers (though the beading is a very clever technique I plan to use on future clogs).
* I'd highly recommend that you knit a test slipper first (or don't be afraid to frog) to get the hang of the ktch and ptch. It makes so much more sense to me now that I'm working on the second pair and I wish that I'd frogged the first slipper instead of plodding ahead.
* You can adjust the finished size by pulling them out of the wash sooner. After the first 10 minutes of felting, I could have easily blocked the clogs to fit my husband who wears a size 9.
* Use a row counter! There are several places where you go back and repeat certain rows and without a row counter, it can get very confusing.
* I would guess that you could get child sized clogs by knitting with DK weight yarn and using the same instructions for the regular clogs. I'm not sure that I'd try to adjust the pattern otherwise. Anyone else with the pattern have any suggestions?

Trust the process and the pattern instructions. They are very well written and won't steer you wrong. The finished result is worth it! Best of luck!

PS. I've been writing up a couple of patterns myself and can completely understand why this pattern is $7. Sure you can buy a lot of yarn with $7 but you won't find a free pattern online that can compare to this one.

IndigoMuse
http://indigomuse.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006 10:29:23 AM by indigomuse » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melliska
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006 07:11:44 PM »

How do you block these?
I would like to make these for my husband, without him knowing.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...