A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,818
Currently Running With Scissors:
281 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finally finished something! ~ Armwarmers!~  (Read 3443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

linda_t
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006 01:45:15 AM »

Lovely armwarmers! The yarn is fantastic  Grin
The first time I used dpns I knitted a hat on 9 mm needles, that is chunky, I think that was a good "first dpn"-project. There weren't too many stitches to keep track of and the result came fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohmyword
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006 04:24:39 AM »

those are pretty!  I've seen that yarn at michael's and wanted to buy it.  Make sure you don't wash those though.. it'll felt and you'll be left with child sized arm warmers.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy

I do personal swaps.
Kazkitty
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006 10:27:52 AM »

I did buy my yarn from Michael's and it was on sale! For $4.97 a ball instead of $5.99.. I tend to purchase cheaper stuff like the Caron's simply soft.. but this yarn was a real treat to work with and my first time using a non-acrylic yarn. Cheesy

I'll have to make sure they don't end up in my laundry pile ever. I won't forget not to put them through the wash, but I'm sure my mother would.. lol

Does this yarn felt well? I still have one full ball and most of a second one.. and I was thinking maybe a little felted purse would be cute. (I've never felted anything before either!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006 10:39:23 AM »

Great armwarmers!  

Yes, SWS felts very well.  I knitted a square to try it, and now I use the square as a coaster.  It comes out slightly fuzzy, similar to Lamb's Pride.

I've been using it for a couple months, so it's kind of squished, but this will give you an idea of the texture.

*edited to add photo*
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010 10:50:44 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Kazkitty
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006 10:46:42 AM »

ohh felted coasters sound fun! Cheesy And thank you!

Just out of curiosity, how big was the square before and after felting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006 10:53:39 AM »

I had to dig out my notes...  I cast on 8 sts and knit in the round, increasing twice in each corner, every other round until I had 88 sts total.  I used US#10 dpns.

Before felting it was 7 1/4" square, and after felting for 30 minutes in the washer, it is 4 3/4".  The perfect size for a coaster!  I use it every day.  A set of them would make a nice gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Kazkitty
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006 11:00:59 AM »

cool! Thanks! That might be something I'd like to try. Cheesy

And that might be a nice little project to start learning dpns and knitting in the round.. lol

Your coaster looks fantastic btw. I love those colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006 11:07:35 AM »

You're welcome.  It's fun to see how SWS looks once it's knit, because it's hard to tell from the skeins.  I love the color of your armwarmers!  It's much prettier than it looks in the store.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laceybatey
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006 01:04:23 PM »

For seaming, use mattress stitch.  You can watch the video on knittinghelp.com if you want to see it happening.  You can also watch their video on knitting in the round. 

I recently made some armwarmers out of the same yarn, and I seamed them because I didn't have the right size dpns with me.  You would never know to look at them that they were seamed...  A good seam can make or break a knitted item.

Contratulations, though!  They're beautiful.  I bought some of that colorway, too, so I may try it out tonight! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kazkitty
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006 06:06:46 PM »

Calysa: I love the colors on yours! I had a hard time picking out a colorway in the store cause they all looked so pretty! I decided on the natural geranium only cause of all the reds and pinks.. lol I figured it couldn't look too bad even with tan mixed in.. Cheesy

laceybatey: Thank you! I went and checked out the site and the videos were very helpful! I'll have to remember to bookmark that site! lol I just might pick out the horrible seaming I did and attempt to do it the proper way. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Jewelry Art
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...