A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,831
Currently Running With Scissors:
187 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cable needle?  (Read 3072 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

crochetfairy
~~YaRn FrEaK~~

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2006 08:04:15 AM »

I am a fairly advance beginner at knitting, I can make 2 needle mittens, scarves and two needle hats. However, I have never done the cable stitch. Do you have to use a special needle for that? I thought  I heard somewhere that you could use a third knitting needle, but I am probably wrong.  And also, is there a good beginner pattern I could complete fairly easily?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pm me if you want to do a personal swap

swap partners check out my wist http://www.wists.com/crochetfairy

www.yarnfreak.blogspot.com
carinbrat

me in oil. By...me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006 08:07:46 AM »

yup, you do need a cable needle...

http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Brand-Cable-Stitch-Needles-2/dp/B0007LHJYM/sr=8-1/qid=1160579245/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2964001-4961759?ie=UTF8
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carinbrat

me in oil. By...me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006 08:09:31 AM »

It's not so hard, once you get the hang of it... my first cable project was the "hurry up spring armwarmers" in SnB Nation - looked scary at first, but with a little grit and determination, turned out fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006 08:12:46 AM »

Well, no, you actually don't need a cable needle.  I've used a third plain straight needle, an extra double pointed needle, and even a stitch holder, to make cables.  It doesn't even technically have to be the same gauge as your project needles, since all you do is slip stitches onto it, shove them out of the way, then knit them back onto the needles.  In fact, I found that a plain ol' stitch holder works very well, and in much the same way as certain types of cable needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Nerfernie
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006 08:13:29 AM »

I never use a cable needle, I just use a #3 knitting needle to keep my stiches on. Then I just move them back onto the needle when it comes time to knit them. I meant to buy a cable needle, but it was late at night when I wanted to try cables so I improvised. Now I see no need to buy one.

I just started with a cable swatch, then did whatever pattern I felt like cause I knew I could cable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crochetfairy
~~YaRn FrEaK~~

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006 08:15:29 AM »

thanks.Smiley I'll have to get a copy of stitch and bitch nation.
lothruin, thanks. I never thought of a stitch holder. Smiley I may try cabling after all. It sounds simple....lol until I get started anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crochetfairy
~~YaRn FrEaK~~

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006 08:16:23 AM »

I never use a cable needle, I just use a #3 knitting needle to keep my stiches on. Then I just move them back onto the needle when it comes time to knit them. I meant to buy a cable needle, but it was late at night when I wanted to try cables so I improvised. Now I see no need to buy one.

I just started with a cable swatch, then did whatever pattern I felt like cause I knew I could cable.
sounds like a good idea to me. Practice is definately something I need to do. ...........off to practice Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carinbrat

me in oil. By...me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006 08:20:55 AM »

Well, no, you actually don't need a cable needle.  I've used a third plain straight needle, an extra double pointed needle, and even a stitch holder, to make cables.  It doesn't even technically have to be the same gauge as your project needles, since all you do is slip stitches onto it, shove them out of the way, then knit them back onto the needles.  In fact, I found that a plain ol' stitch holder works very well, and in much the same way as certain types of cable needles.

True, true.  I guess I have just always used one (there was one in the knitting supplies that I inherited when I started to knit).

However you hold onto the stitch until you need it again, you should just remember that you're basically moving a stitch out of the way, knitting the next one, and then going back to the previous one.  Or the next two, or the next three, depending on how thick your cable is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crochetfairy
~~YaRn FrEaK~~

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006 09:03:13 AM »

True, true.  I guess I have just always used one (there was one in the knitting supplies that I inherited when I started to knit).

However you hold onto the stitch until you need it again, you should just remember that you're basically moving a stitch out of the way, knitting the next one, and then going back to the previous one.  Or the next two, or the next three, depending on how thick your cable is.

I always thought cable stitch was something really complicated. But if its just moving stitches I may be okay Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creepyhugger
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006 09:46:52 AM »

i just bought my first set of cable needles.  honestly, i never realized there were specific needles for this, i just used a dpn of similar gauge.  when i saw the cable needles in the store, it all clicked for me.  it appears that it will be a lot easier for me with the cable needles, as they have that little notchy thingie and i always have a problem with the dpn slipping out and then i have that moment of panic where i'm sure i'm going to drop the stitch.  i also bought my first crochet hook and now it's sooooooo easy to pick up dropped stitches!  who knew?  i guess i'm just the type that tends to do things the hard way....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...