A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,254
Currently Running With Scissors:
180 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Straight hair straightener ( a review, of sorts)  (Read 11623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

FunkyOlive
Revolution Rock-making, Screen-printing, "Next Great American Novel"-writing collage artist/enigma.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2004 08:34:30 PM »

Hi people,
i'm not sure if this is right for this board, but i thought i'd just say...
I recently bought Easy Straight hair straightening kit from my CVS, and let me tell you- it worked really well for my hair type (light, wavy/curly, thick as anything).
I used to straight iron my hair all the time and never wanted to get my hair wet for fear of spending an hour with hair clips and hot steam. (jeez, run on sentances, thy name is me! lol)
anyway, my hair now straighter than when i ironed it, and (hopefully) alot less work. I'll let you know after i shower. Wink
Here's a run-down on the kit- GET A FRIEND TO HELP- NOT GOOD TO UNDERTAKE ALONE!
four steps.
*NOTE: MY SYNOPSIS IS IN NO WAY TO BE USED INSTEAD OF AUTHORIZED DIRECTIONS INCLUDED IN KIT. okay. hehe.
1. (clip up hair into sections with provided clips) step 1 product is a thick cream that you microwave, add the step 2 oil to, and completely coat your hair with (using rubber gloves). let sit under a shower cap for your hair-type-time. (chart in panphlet) warning- do this in a well ventilated area. THIS STUFF STINKS!!!
like rotten eggs (kind of) or a permanent or bathroom cleaner. Won't stink much at all after you shower.
2. shower. your hair will feel like it's clay, very moldable... shampoo and conditon (your normal product) but don't scrub your hair/head. hair is very fragile.
rinse until clean.
3. towel dry.
4. mix step 3 with water in its own bottle, which is filled only about an eighth of the way with purple liquid. shake well.
5. get a friend (AGAIN, A FRIEND) to soak your hair with this. wear old clothes. you can put towels on the flook or do this in a tub or shower. totally drench every inch of your hair.
6. shower. shampoo, but don't condition.
7. back in old clothes, drench hair with leave in conditioner. WHOLE BOTTLE. seems like a ton of liquid in that tiny bottle, doesn't it? hmm.
8. comb hair often, don't put hair behind ears until dry.

* NOTE: after step 3 or step 6 (can't remember), comb hair every 3 minutes. for 10 minutes. I think it's step 6, but don't sue me.

So, that's the work you have to go through to get your hair straight.
I'm sure the makers of this kit will soon come out with shampoos and conditioners and the like to follow up with "for best results."
whatever that means.

okay, folks, that's my step-by-step run down of what to do, what it smells like, and what color it is. I hope someone on craftster benefits from this.

tata, olive
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ollyollyoxenfree
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004 01:39:23 PM »

This seems interesting... how well have the results held up for you? I flat-iron too sometimes but I know it kills the hair so I'm trying to stop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

one day i'll be wondering how
i got so old just wondering how
i never got cold wearing nothing in the snow
this is way beyond my remote concern
FunkyOlive
Revolution Rock-making, Screen-printing, "Next Great American Novel"-writing collage artist/enigma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004 03:33:30 PM »

well, after showering, my hair was kinda poufy, but frizz-free. after sleeping on it, it flattened additionally, and i just touched it up with my straightening iron, but that's just me. i think i shoudl've left the step 1 product in my hair a tad longer, but this all could've also been a result of me wraping my hair in a towel when it was wet. i'm hoping for a little better results after i get my hair wet again.
thanks!
-olive
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixiestixchick65

"I can't believe I gave my panties to a geek."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004 09:13:36 AM »

That sounds like it would be really bad for your hair though.  Having it feel like clay is kinda creepy sounding, almost like it's melted or something.  How long do the results last?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ciao xox
Brae_Day
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004 09:19:49 AM »

Wow, your hair sounds EXACTLY like mine... I totally feel your pain.  Too wavy to look good straight, too straight to look good curly.  How much did this stuff cost?

Even if it does damage your hair, it can't be any worse than using a curling iron to straighten your hair day in and day out.  (That's what I do... it takes FOREVER!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004 11:36:29 AM »

I have really curly hair and I had it professionally relaxed ONCE.  It is not a good idea.  As my hair grew out for about a year or two after...I would have this odd straight portion at the top(near roots) and bottom(tips) of my hair.  It looked rediculous.  I had done it so I could wear my hair curly and it just be a little more calm, and it turned out making me look like a freak.  It made my hair dry and brittle.  And yes, I think this is worse than blow drying and flat ironing everyday.  The product that you'er using sounds like it may be stronger than what I did.  I just don't reccommend it.  Not worth it. Undecided

If you want your straightening process not to take as long...and this is coming from someone with A TON of REALLY curly hair...get your hair wet the night before you plan on wearing it straight.  I put a straightening balm/gel in it that has a heat protector.  I pull it back in a low tight pony tail, making sure it is smooth against my head.  The next morning I take out the pony tail and fing comb it while blow dry it.  Then I flat iron small sections (I use a chi...expensive but you'll spend more in the long run replacing crappy straighteners, plus it's ceramic and less damaging) and then put a shine serum on it.  I usually keep it straight for 2-3 days, give my hair  break from washing and heat.  I hope that helps y'all who are considering a chemical process. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
FunkyOlive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004 12:46:00 PM »

That sounds like it would be really bad for your hair though.  Having it feel like clay is kinda creepy sounding, almost like it's melted or something.  How long do the results last?

My hair hasn't changed in terms of seeming brittle or anything like that, so i don't think it's damaged (at least not enough to show any difference.)
What i meant by the "like clay" thing was just that my hair was very goopy from the product (step 1) to the point of being moldable, but not unlike having alot of hair gel in your hair. The results are supposed to last 3-6 months.

Wow, your hair sounds EXACTLY like mine... I totally feel your pain.  Too wavy to look good straight, too straight to look good curly.  How much did this stuff cost?

Even if it does damage your hair, it can't be any worse than using a curling iron to straighten your hair day in and day out.  (That's what I do... it takes FOREVER!!!)

woo! people with crazy wavy/curly/frizzy hair unite! lol, ok.
the kit cost $30.00, which is not much if you ask me, compared to $70.00+ at a salon.
I know all about the straightening iron- i had a "really good" ceramic one that did steam, which works great if you're into 1/2 hr. hair management every day.... plus the handle broke (but most likely because i brought it on vacationn and probably dropped it a few times... nothing against Hot Tools).

I have really curly hair and I had it professionally relaxed ONCE.  It is not a good idea.  As my hair grew out for about a year or two after...I would have this odd straight portion at the top(near roots) and bottom(tips) of my hair.  It looked rediculous.  I had done it so I could wear my hair curly and it just be a little more calm, and it turned out making me look like a freak.  It made my hair dry and brittle.  And yes, I think this is worse than blow drying and flat ironing everyday.  The product that you'er using sounds like it may be stronger than what I did.  I just don't reccommend it.  Not worth it. Undecided

If you want your straightening process not to take as long...and this is coming from someone with A TON of REALLY curly hair...get your hair wet the night before you plan on wearing it straight.  I put a straightening balm/gel in it that has a heat protector.  I pull it back in a low tight pony tail, making sure it is smooth against my head.  The next morning I take out the pony tail and fing comb it while blow dry it.  Then I flat iron small sections (I use a chi...expensive but you'll spend more in the long run replacing crappy straighteners, plus it's ceramic and less damaging) and then put a shine serum on it.  I usually keep it straight for 2-3 days, give my hair  break from washing and heat.  I hope that helps y'all who are considering a chemical process. 

I'm so sorry about your bad expirience! That sounds like it totally backfired. Luckily for me, my hair doesn't grow very quickly, so i should be able to have my hair looking fairly well for a while.
The problem with your procedure, for me, is that my hair isn't long enough to put in a decent ponytail, and that all the serums i've tried (9+, i'd say) couldn't manage my frizz. (ah well.) I also have a ceramic straightener, but again, it takes too long to straighten my hair ever time it gets wet.

well, hope i answered everyone's questions!
-olive
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004 01:00:41 PM »

basically what it is is the chemicals they use in a perm but instead of perming your hair you pull it strait and it sets it like that instead of with a perm  where you put the chemicals on you hair when its in rollers and sets it in a curl. I hope this makes sense.  I have straightened my hair in this fashion many times. Just dont ever do it on dyed hair because itll strip the color.  I have done it enough times that my hair isnt very wavy anymore its pretty straight on its own.
*h
sorry moms a hairdresser living with her I picked up on a lot of stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunkyOlive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004 02:34:25 PM »

yup, but apparenly Easy Straight is like "the first straightener that works with color-treated/highlighted hair" or something. I'll let you know when i get my hair streaked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004 02:45:52 PM »

I ment you arent supposed to use most of them if you hair is been dyed beforehand. I wasnt talking out highlights thats a stripping process a little differnent then if you dye your hair. If you dye it say you go from light brown hair to darker brown your doing a deposit where you are adding color to your hair and the straigtener that they used to have on the market would strip the dye right out of your hair. But sounds like this new one is more gentle so that would be awesome for someone like me who used to dye her hair after I straightened to avoid the stripping.
sorry for the rambling explaination.
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...