A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,283
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding Tiara TUTORIAL  (Read 12923 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Kuruku
« on: September 05, 2004 12:18:37 AM »

Hi! I got married earlier on this summer and decided to get crafty and make my own wedding tiara. I'm not really a 'girly' girl so I wanted to make something mod, not frilly. The result was great - initially I thought it was a bit too gaudy but since I spent a fair bit of time on it (I think I watched 2 movies while I worked on it) I thought it would be a shame not to wear it. I got a lot of comments on it!

The stuff I used:

#28 wire
beads (the number of beads you use will vary depending on their size)
1 black metal hair comb (I got it at a bead shop, it was only about 5.00 CDN)

The entire project cost me about 40.00 CDN to make. Those beads really add up.

The first thing I did was count all the tines and figure out where the center of the tiara would be. I placed each 'tier' in between two tines.

You should figure out where you want your tiers to end at on either side and make note of it. In the end, my tiara had 18 tiers in total (no center top tier) and 9 beads on either side of the series of tiers (clear as mud right?). The hair comb has 37 tines in total.

Basically, I started by making the tiers. It was easy; I cut a piece of wire about 5" long and strung a small bead on it. Then, I took a larger bead and inserted both ends of the wire in it so the small bead acted as a
topper. All my tiers are about 1-1 1/2" in height, so when I reached that height on a tier, I placed it on the tiara and wrapped it into place, between 2 tines. It's OK if you have rough ends because they get covered up later.

When I had made and placed all the tiers, I started at one end of the tiara's tines and began to wrap wire around it, placing one bead between each two tines prior to the tiers. Once I had reached the first tier (after placing 9 beads) I began to wrap like crazy, around the tiers in every which way. This means a lot of wire and wrapping but it ends up being fairly flat and looking nice, and really secures the tiers. So, when I reached the other end of the series of tiers, I once again began to wire beads between the remaining tines. Once that was finished, I did one more wrap job on the entire thing and voila, it was finished!

Pink was one of our accent colors, so I picked all pink and clear beads in a variety of shapes and textures.

Here's some pictures (taken after the fact; my hair was much longer @ the wedding).

http://home.ripway.com/2004-9/170041/tiara1.jpg
http://home.ripway.com/2004-9/170041/tiara2.jpg
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011 12:22:56 PM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kuruku
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004 12:20:09 AM »

EEEK I had no idea that the pictures would turn out to be that huge. Sorry! Now you can see every single piece of cat hair on our couch, ew!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheriffkarli
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004 11:20:30 AM »

i can't see the pictures, but it sounds wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
Kuruku
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004 01:25:36 PM »

Hrm - they were showing up last night Sad; I'm not sure how to fix it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chillychick
Officially Insane

Garden State is Love.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004 05:26:35 PM »

Try uploading your pictures to www.photobucket.com  They have a larger bandwidth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neonlily-Assorted junk for your pleasure.
Funkable
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004 03:37:53 AM »

I see them now and they're a tad big yes but the tiara's gorgeous! I bet that looked lovely in your hair... any wedding pictures??  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenni_grrr
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004 12:12:21 AM »

Oooh, I love it. Great job.

Im having a very small wedding, nothing BIG but Ive decided Im definitely going to wear a tiara  Cheesy Because Im a princess [/Loreal commercial] Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...