A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
170 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to take decent pictures?  (Read 1139 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
magdalen

an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2006 09:39:06 PM »

Hi all! I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on taking good pictures of my jewelry...I tried to take pics inside the house with a lamp shining right on the jewelry, but they turned out kind of dark and with a pinkish hue. And would people think it is gross if i took pictures of the jewelry on...like earrings and necklaces? Because my stuff looks much better on than just laying on a table. Please give me some advice!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalen.etsy.com
stereoette
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006 11:54:00 AM »

i think the etsy crowd has decided that pictures of earings on ears turns people off.

otherwise, here is a good article on taking pictures of things: http://theswitchboards.com/articles_professionalphotos.html - crafty like a fox (the blog) also had a good post on the topic but i dont remember where offhand.

and there is a ton of discussion here and on the etsy forums about taking better pictures. just do a quick search.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
ksew
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006 12:57:55 PM »

If you're going to do it indoors, use a blue light bulb. (in photo stores called "photoflood" Or I have even seen regular house lightbulbs that are blue, you could try this too.) They are made to appear like daylight and don't make the hues that flourescent lights do. Use something like a big piece of foam core to bounce the light onto your jewelry, don't shine the light directly on your pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkninky
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006 02:23:12 PM »

i use indirect sunlight on a light surface, AND use a piece of white cardboard to reflect the light around my product. this way my colors always come out correct and shadows are very minimal  Wink

maybe for your jewelry you can buy some displays to wear the jewelry? so, not only will you not be wearing your wares, but also, your photos will be nice and uniform.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bailliesbagsbaubles
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006 04:00:51 AM »

I haven't photographed Jewelry, but the best pics I have taken of my purses are outside in the grass.  I have see jewerly pics done outside and they also turn out really nice.  If you can't afford the jewlery stands at this point, maybe drape the jewelry on a piece of wood or a flower or something like that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparkleCookie

www.sparklecookie.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006 08:05:14 AM »

There is a thread on this on the Beaded Jewelry board. 
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=108344.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparklecookie.etsy.com
                      www.sparklecookie.com
magdalen

an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006 10:13:17 AM »

Thank you all so much for your help!  Cheesy  The search I did before I posted this didn't do much good because tons of posts have the words "take" "good" and "picture" in them. You guys helped me a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalen.etsy.com
Daisygirl

2 kids, 2 cats, 2 birds...why didn't I get 2 men?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006 09:01:30 AM »

I take my pictures inside but I use natural light from the window.  I use a white backdrop too.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...