A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
181 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to start a rather small, legit business in PA?  (Read 2745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
dimhalo
« on: October 09, 2004 07:57:14 PM »

Well I have browsed the crafty business ventures section, but I've found that the rules & regulations seem to be area specific. Could anyone from PA lay out exactly what I need/ how much it would cost to start an exceptionally small at-home business in Johnstown, PA? I'm currently selling accessories on ebay, but I've been getting a lot of emails for custom orders. I've also done a craft fair recently, and would like to do more in the future. I also have a small business that would like to sell my items in their establishment. I would like to be able to do business in a clean, legal fashion, hopefully using the name I've been using on ebay. I know the domain name is still open, and have also been considering buying that. I'd love to have any information on reporting/receiving sales tax, paying/reporting income tax, registering a business & business name, how much these things would cost, etc. Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jjgirl
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004 12:14:08 PM »

Hey, I'm just doing craft shows right now, but I registered online at www.revenue.state.pa.us and filled out all the info that way.  It's free and now I can buy supplies without paying sales tax (because technically I'll be collecting it later on when I sell my products). 

You can register your business name online for $70, if you opt to do that; I didn't because I can't afford it now Smiley, and I though it was kinda pointless.  But whatever you want - go ahead and do it.

And to collect sales tax, just charge whatever percentage tax there is in your county and then you can file your tax returns online at etides.com (or something like that - you'll get an e-mail with all the info you need once you apply for a sales tax license).

Hope all this information helps, but if you still have any questions, I'll try my best.  E-mail:  [email protected]

Good Luck!!  Jayna

P.S. Important note:  Keep ALLLLLLL your receipts and very good records.  That way when tax season comes around, you only have to put your net income on the return.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dimhalo
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004 04:17:53 PM »

Thank you so much! So, if I'm only doing craft shows and ebay auctions (& maybe maybe maybe a small web site) for now, can I go without registering my business and still be legal- as long as I sign up for a tax id?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004 04:21:57 PM by dimhalo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jjgirl
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004 07:22:46 AM »

Yeah.  There's no need to register your name (as far as I can tell) other than the fact you copyrite your name business name so other companies can't use it.  It's basically an added option if you become big like McDonalds or something.  Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it... plus you're saving $70! 

Any other questions, I'm here... Smiley  Let me know how it's going
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recyclednew
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004 06:51:30 AM »

Actually, you don't even have to file taxes on what you make inless it's over a certain amount, which I believe is $10,000, but I could be wrong on that figure! I do know that if your register your business, it cost less if your name is incorperated into your business name some how! That's why a lot of businesses, esspecially little ones, are someones name! Like Johnson & Johnson's. One of the benefits of filing taxes is that you can write off the cost of matterials, any dinner meetings you may have, travel expesses, postal cost, etc. Some accountants will offer a free consultation, and you may want to take advantage of something like that because they can look at all your info and give you answers that are more specific to your needs. And if you hire an accountant, you can write off their fees on your taxes too because they are also a business expense! My boyfriend has his own business (www.krphoto.com) which is located in Pittsburgh, and he works soley off the web, so I can ask him some more speciffic questions and get back to you. Hope some of this info helps in the mean time!
Jae
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art is a drug in which i cannot live without!
dimhalo
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004 05:36:30 PM »

Thanks! I'd appreciate any other info you could share (I'm especially interested in whether or not the 10,000 dollar thing is right)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dimhalo
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004 06:19:05 PM »

So, if I sign up for etides, and register my name, I am good to go? Does anyone know if you have to fill out any additional forms for running a web site?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

france and amber
I put marbles in my nose.

staple remover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004 01:21:51 PM »

I opened a brick-and-mortar in pa this fall and it was a real pain trying to find all the info!

a good place to check out and also fill out some of the forms online is here:

http://www.paopen4business.state.pa.us

hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- james

check out my thrifty and crafty store and site!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...