A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,572
Currently Running With Scissors:
223 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage 'dos and make-up (Come share your secrets!)  (Read 85932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2009 01:21:53 PM »

i use bobby pins to straighten my hair.. i don't know what its called in english but in hebrew its call
abo a gila
its when you start sectioning your hair around your head then pinning it in place, i will try to take a picture soon
tutorial:
comb bangs in front for now
take the first section of hair, and starting at the part, pin it in place while pulling/wrapping it around your head
repeat for other parts
do the same for bangs, but use MORE pins
add more pins for stability
wrap a scarf or wear a hat
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
Domitilla
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2009 01:53:41 AM »

i use bobby pins to straighten my hair.. i don't know what its called in english but in hebrew its call
abo a gila
in Italy we call it "ruota" (wheel) or "svedese" (swedish) or "messicana" (mexican) and it works very well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, so let me know if you want!
sugarglass

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2009 12:36:05 PM »

yup, nd it doesn't damage hair like flat ironing does, also, it costs less, and when people ask you if you straighten your hair, you can say no, its natural cuz it is, its just like if someone asks you if you curled you hair, when you really just put it in a braid before you went to sleep, its NATURAL
i also like pin curls, and once my mom braided my hair in the morning, when it was wet, and i slept with it, and the next day i had the most beautiful crimped hair you've ever seen, and since it was done with braids, not a crimper, it looked MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more natural
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
sugarglass

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2009 02:10:41 PM »

i'll try here too, does anyone know how to do taylor swift curls i think its pin curls
http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/files/2009/02/taylor-swift.jpg
and anyone know how to do this style too?
http://www.music.com/artist-images/artist/P%20%20%20816977/taylor_swift_bio.jpg
i have pretty much the same haircut so..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2009 05:46:37 PM »

Those curls look like she used a spiral curling iron to me. Pin curls wouldn't look so perfect. At least mine don't...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
BabyDragon

McGee = Probalicious

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2009 04:52:55 PM »

abo a gila
its when you start sectioning your hair around your head then pinning it in place, i will try to take a picture soon
tutorial:
comb bangs in front for now
take the first section of hair, and starting at the part, pin it in place while pulling/wrapping it around your head
repeat for other parts
do the same for bangs, but use MORE pins
add more pins for stability
wrap a scarf or wear a hat
Smiley

Is there possibly another name or spelling for that technique?  I tried google but couldn't find anything.  I'd love a tute, because my hair gets damaged/frizzy really easily so I can't use a straightening iron Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey Griff--Chupathingy!  How 'bout that?" ~~Sarge;Red vs Blue

"I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship! USE THE STENCIL! DO IT!" ~~Dena;The Guild

Current WIP: Afghan in Homespun's "Gothic" Purple
sugarglass

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2009 05:04:53 PM »

no idea..... its kind of like spiral curls with bobby pins, but around your head!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2009 07:41:39 AM »

It has been MONTHS of reading/playing with vintage techniques and FINALLY I am getting the hang of half waves and pin curls...I did this after studying pics of Marilyn Monroe this weekend!

I think that my victory rolls still have a ways to go though, I think the trick is be ASYMMETRICAL about the roll placement, which is what I forget to do cuz I have short Bettie Bangs and the part there forces my rolls to be symetrical: this is an older pic, but my rolls don't have enough height.. I NEED A RAT!

these are my Bettie Bangs (not staying curled under..grr), see how they are in a triangular part, not rectangular? that makes asymmetrical parts for rolls really HARD:

I am taking pre-natals and my hair is growing out, when I hit 6" I am getting the 1940s Middy Long cut, then this should be easier!

QUESTION>>>> DO yall make rats out of your own hair? I think I may need to, my hair is HELLS red, so a blonde or brunnette rat wont cut it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2009 09:53:54 AM »

It has been MONTHS of reading/playing with vintage techniques and FINALLY I am getting the hang of half waves and pin curls...I did this after studying pics of Marilyn Monroe this weekend!

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/punkitty26/10227_1168532506706_1629776159_4354.jpg

I think that my victory rolls still have a ways to go though, I think the trick is be ASYMMETRICAL about the roll placement, which is what I forget to do cuz I have short Bettie Bangs and the part there forces my rolls to be symetrical: this is an older pic, but my rolls don't have enough height.. I NEED A RAT!
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/punkitty26/40shairjpg.jpg

these are my Bettie Bangs (not staying curled under..grr), see how they are in a triangular part, not rectangular? that makes asymmetrical parts for rolls really HARD:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/punkitty26/10227_1162442994472_1629776159_4-1.jpg

I am taking pre-natals and my hair is growing out, when I hit 6" I am getting the 1940s Middy Long cut, then this should be easier!

QUESTION>>>> DO yall make rats out of your own hair? I think I may need to, my hair is HELLS red, so a blonde or brunnette rat wont cut it.

your hair looks great!!! i think i look weird with pin curls,they keep my ears warm tho....
as for rats,make them out of hair extensions,that way you can dye it the right colour if the extensions are real hair!  
x
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009 03:44:48 PM by MareMare - Reason: Please remove img tags when quoting pics! Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2009 07:04:39 AM »

that is friggin genius! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Green Tomato Pie
@Home This Weekend: Door Decor
June 20, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...