A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
201 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage 'dos and make-up (Come share your secrets!)  (Read 86205 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
missysx
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2008 01:47:24 AM »

it was acutally having curlers in my hair for my hair trial (getting married in a few weeks) that inspired me to look at this thread...

some interesting tips, which i'm definately going to try after the wedding..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
secondstar
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2008 02:38:25 PM »

If you ever want finger waves but don't think you can do them yourself, check out a local beauty school. They may hate you for it, but they know how to do them. haha. I had to learn in order to take my state boards. I only had one person ever come in for them, and at first I was miffed, but once I got to it I started to have fun. And they looked really cute when it was dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We could be like onions and peppers
In a sleeping bag fajita
We could be anything you want
ellie.henry
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2008 07:13:25 PM »

If you ever want finger waves but don't think you can do them yourself, check out a local beauty school. They may hate you for it, but they know how to do them. haha. I had to learn in order to take my state boards. I only had one person ever come in for them, and at first I was miffed, but once I got to it I started to have fun. And they looked really cute when it was dry.
do you mind if I ask when you took your state boards, and in what state? i am curious. we had to learn to do them as well but they are not part of the Pennsylvania exam. and yes any beauty student will hate having to do them on you. they are difficult, especially if you are just learning. be sure to tip them well and let them know you appriciate them doing it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2008 01:14:47 AM »

if you want finger waves/rolls you might check out the old mom and pop hair salons...those chicks rock....those women can do some waves let me tell ya....

before a special event a few years ago, i decided i wanted finger waves....i have long curly curly hair and she got them to stay perfectly....i wish i had a picture to show you!!!

anyhow, the older gen can totally pass all the good hair on to us!!! seek em out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2008 05:57:37 AM »

i done some searching and i found the PDF version of Daniella Turudich's 1940's hairstyles!! i cant believe it, the book is now out of print and costs about 150 to buy and here it is for free!! http://beguiling.us/eljay/1940sHairstyles.pdfits really good id definately reccomend it for anyone into 1940's hairdo's , i also found the PDF version of 'how to dress your own hair' from 1944 http://beguiling.us/eljay/1944%20Pamphlet.pdf

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Breninja
Your life is yours to create

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008 01:28:58 PM »

wow thanks for sharing itnergalacticj, I love the images
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2008 06:14:15 AM »

Grin i put rag rollers in my hair last night, i just cut up an old t-shirt into strips and then wound my hair around the strips and tied them, it gives the same look as pin curls but is much easier to do i think,i brushed it out into waves - usually my hair is very straight and wont hold a curl but it stayed. woohoo!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieBerlin
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2008 06:49:12 AM »

I basically live off of sponge rollers, which you can use to do just about everything but fingerwaves.  I found a tute for doing rolls, which I did with sponge rollers even though the tute used a curler and it worked very well, especially for my first time doing them:
http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/152257.html#cutid1 (tute)

Also, I do the rosie the riveter styly a lot, also with sponge rollers although the tute is just finger rolls.  I can never ever get finger rolls to work.  This is one of my favorite styles because it takes about ten minutes (not including sleeping the rollers, of course):
http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/671.html

For a pomp, I usually but my bangs in two rollers, curling away from the face, then when I get up I brush the curls lightly so I just have one curl.  From there, I backcomb the part behind the roll, aka the not visible part, and re-situate it so it doesn't look like a roll and I pin it.  I have fairly short bangs so that's really my only option.  I don't have a tute for this one..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veritas_rose
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2008 12:07:02 PM »

I just found this thread and love it! Right now, I have naturally wavy, hip length hair. For super-vintage, check out my reniassance hair im my display pic.
 I'm trying to save my money to get a whole side-swept long feathered bangs 70's kind of look, but in the meantime, I'm looking for some cool styles. I remember my grandma doing pincurls and rag curls on me when I was little, and they still seem to be the only thing that holds in my super long hair. Plus, my skin is so sensitive, I can't use any sort of hair products.
 Also, anyone have tips for liquid eyeliner for me? I love doing cat eyes, but the standard eyeliner always smudges, and I have trouble applying the liquid stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar, Act II, Sc. 2, line 32."
batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2008 12:11:41 PM »

You might like a pot or cake liner with a flat brush, like this: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P36210&categoryId=RPYMAL&navAction=jump
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Insulated Lunch Sack
Take a Bath!
Meal Prep Monday: Indian-Inspired Savory English Pie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...