A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Watercolor" bead  (Read 2715 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2006 08:35:30 AM »

I got to go to a workshop by Maggie Maggio this past weekend and learn about her color theory and also her color-washed beads - terrific stuff!  Here's the bead I made (front & back views):

It's about 1.25" in diameter and somewhat flattened for use as a pendant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
mermaide
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006 12:45:38 PM »

Very cool! Do you mind giving your technique? It's ok if you don't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftsters do it better.
Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006 01:01:28 PM »

Well, it's not my technique, and since Maggie's teaching it I doubt she'd want it detailed --

However, to put it simply and not really give away the heart of her class, this version is just a matter of tearing very thin sheets into tiny pieces/strips and putting them on a solid-color base bead.  When you roll out sheets of clay on a very thin setting (I think I used #7 or 8 on my Atlas pasta machine) it tears easily, so you're just taking advantage of a natural phemonenon to get the ragged-edged strips.  If the sheets are too soft to do this easily, you can also leach out some of the plasticizer on regular copy paper, which actually gives you a little more control over how the pieces tear. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006 09:35:02 AM »

Not to worry... this is a fairly well-known technique by now (and actually Donna Kato described something similar in her first book long ago), so it's pretty much in the clay public domain.  Didn't even know Maggie was still doing that particular class since clay artists usually do a particular technique in classes only for a year or so.

So for anyone else who'd like more examples (the finished result can look fairly different depending on colors and layers used, etc.) and lessons, check out this area of GlassAttic:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sheets.htm
(click on Flattened Pattern Sheets, then scroll down to the  sub-sub-category Rainforest-bead effect.... Watercolor bead, or Torn-Paper effect )

Diane B.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006 10:14:28 AM »

That's interesting, Diane - in all the reading I've done I'd never run across that technique before.  We had a lot of fun with it.  I really like Desiree McCrory's take on it, adding the translucent to give it separation and depth.  V. cool.

I suspect Maggie dragged out an older class to give us a product from our color studies, which was the bulk of the day - exploring her color pyramid and her theories on rainbow vs. earth colors - good stuff, and very practical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006 10:47:39 AM »

color studies, which was the bulk of the day - exploring her color pyramid and her theories on rainbow vs. earth colors - good stuff, and very practical.

Oh, I took that class too!... or at least a much earlier incarnation of it.  It was gr-reat. 

She actually gave her color class with Laura Liska in the beginning... did you see the photos I took of their selction of "colors", etc. I posted in the second thread of my color "samples" stuff? ...those were from that class:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=101494.0

A lot of folks left that class and entered into a brand new level of working with color and clay... their stuff after that had really moved forward, plus they were much happier just finally understanding a bit about it all so they could have better ideas of how to use color.  (I had taken a similar color class when I was a quilter earlier that had gotten me really interested in studying more about color too... a real eye opener!).

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...