A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
273 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starting projects with felt! Suggestions?  (Read 3384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

carolinagirl
« on: September 29, 2006 01:34:22 PM »

Not to sound super-stupid, but I need to know about felt for softies and dollies and such. I've been inspired here and all over the crafting web to make some softies out of felt, but I don't know what kind. Is it just the sheets of felt in the craft store, or do I buy something off the bolt at a fabric store?

Thanks-
Kim in NC
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katie74
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006 04:08:42 PM »

It depends what you prefer. Most of the stuff at my big local store is synthetic felt. they have some rolls of wool, blend felt, which I use sometimes, but I have to send away for wool felt, which I really like the feel of and I prefer to use - the problem is it is a bit more expensive.
I know some people like the synthetic felt as I don't think moths will eat it and it is pretty durable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mustang7
Craft for yesterday, today and tomorrow!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006 04:52:12 PM »

I'm with Katie.   Wink  However, I use whatever felt I can find, LOL.  The projects come out just fine.  Be careful though, like all fabric check the stretch direction.  It will affect how the mascot/dolls turn out.  Another thing is what are you making it for.....most mascots are made more for decroative purposes and won't be washed, therefore, I think the regular felt is fine.  Of course it depends what you prefer working with.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mayu Kawaii
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006 08:04:11 PM »

http://d.turboupload.com/d/1034982/Felt_mascot.zip.html

If you need some patterns  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ooooh look at that plushie!!! ::snuggle snuggle::
Paperdaisies

Let's dance in the rain or at least run crazy!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006 03:09:05 AM »

I have only ever used sheets of acrylic felt. I've found it pretty easy to work with. It seems to fuzz up quite a bit and you have to be careful when you cut really narrow shapes or sharp points cot they can break. But that might be the same for all felt. I dunno. I would love to try wool felt one day, but this stuff is doing me great! You could take a look at my previous posts to see what I've made with the sheets of felt.

Good luck with your felt adventures!! I'd love to see your creations Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carolinagirl
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006 02:21:41 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions about felt. I'll have to look for some when I go to town this week (we live about an hour from any craft place other than Walmart!).

And thanks SO MUCH for the zip file of mascot patterns and pics! I can't wait to get in a get a close look at them. I just "won" a Japanese pattern book off ebay, so I'm going to go crazy waiting a month for it to get here. I can't figure out why American pattern people haven't come up with similar ideas as what I see in the Japanese books! I think they'd make a killing!

I hope I'll be posting some toy pictures soon!

Kim in NC
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paws_N_Claws
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006 07:32:49 PM »

I know you already got some answers, but I'll add more.. lol.. The thing I liked about felt was that it doesn't fray... To the best of my (limited) knowledge, everything else does.  So when you sew with felt, you don't have to worry about hems, which makes it waaaay easier. 

Sheet felt is MUCH cheaper than buying it from the bolt, so depending on what you need, you should keep that in mind.  I'm making a monopoly board right now with it, and discovered that with a little stitching, I could make a cool felt board for the same price as a sheet of posterboard, but it could be folded up to be put away.  It cost me $2.25 for nine sheets (four for each board and one for a center decorative part), but would have cost almost $5 for the same amount off a bolt. 

On the other hand, off the bolt is softer and requires no stitching.  (It does, however, require the ability to cut straight, so I opted to stitch instead of cut.)  It's also softer off the bolt than it is in sheets, but all I've ever seen is solid colors in bolts.  You can get patterns, glittery felt, etc, in sheets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006 10:56:13 AM »

I love fleace and it works pretty well and stuffs much rounder than felt. I've used only the little "squares" that you get one sheet at a time and have to say they don't wash well. When I washed them the holes where I'd stiched streched. And it jsut was aweful. I had seems that popped and stuff. Granted this was the first time I'd used thes tuff so I didn't know any better. So just thought I'd pass that on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloomyBear
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007 08:43:35 AM »

Great patterns. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sariel
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007 05:56:04 PM »

I'd definitely start with craft felt. As long as you're careful with what you make, washing isn't a big deal; it's really easy to sew; and after you work with it a little, you'll have a better idea of whether you'd like to stick with craft felt, switch to wool felt, or leave felt altogether in favor of other fabrics. Smiley And you can make a perfectly good medium-sized to small-sized plushie with only a dollar's worth of craft felt, plus stuffing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 plushies! If you like my designs, I'm up for discussing swaps or commissions. Smiley

my wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...