A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
233 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Leather-Covered Books  (Read 1844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

zooplankton
« on: September 02, 2004 04:33:15 AM »

I have a friend who fancies this journal very muchly, and I want to try to make it for her for her birthday, which is in mid-September. I have had no previous experience working with leather, so I'd like to ask the advice of the crafters here. Smiley Would working with leather make hot-gluing the spine to the leather difficult, or damage the leather? The decoration on the spine of the journal also looks like it's been embroidered. Would that be difficult to do handsewn? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004 03:36:43 AM »

umm i've never worked wiht that sort of leather just kid gloves that I mke dolls with. But I think you just need to make a regular book without covers (look around here for mathods of binding the pages together) and then glue the cover on to the spine with a multi purpose glue. Cutting that thickness of leather should be something scissors will manage without problems as will a scalpel/ stanley knife. You can paint leather with acrylics and if you want to sew anything to it a big needle sould work. a sewing machine might deal with thin leather but be careful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
CallMeAnne
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004 06:35:33 PM »

leather is fun to work with and you can get a leather needle in most needle assorment packs (they usually come bundled with upolstry and other heavy duty needles, i just boough a set for $1 at Joannes Fabrics).  That book that you are trying to duplicate looks as though the pages are actually sewn in. 

To effectively machine sew leather you would need a leather needle and a teflon foot, but the leather that they use for that book is VERY thick and there doesn't seem to be a need for a machine if you wish to duplicate what they have made (I do not think a home machine would have the power to stitch through that anyway).  You might want to use an awl to pierce the leather to make it easier to hand sew though......   if I can think of anything else I will post it. 

Good Luck!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004 11:28:19 AM »

that type of journal isn't glued at all!  the signatures (folded paper) are sewn directly to the leather, the decorative stitching isn't just decorative.  i could post a little tutorial if you want, let me know.  i'd try to now, but i'm a work!  shhhh, don't tell them i'm on craftster!

*e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
Lauriel
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004 07:17:31 AM »

Coffee - I would *love* for you to post a tutorial -- pleeeeeezeeee!  If you do then I promise I won't tell your boss that you hang out here when you should be working....
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004 05:46:57 PM »

wow, i'm so sorry i disappeared like that.  i've been totally overwhelmed with making creatures for the holidays & my roommate's camera died.  but now i am armed with a digital camera all my own (small & shiny, too)  so i'm going to get back to you soon with some instructions.  not in time for your friend's birthday, but maybe for a few holidays....

*e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...