A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
197 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tab-top curtains (tute included)  (Read 2608 times)
Tags for this thread: curtains , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Amalas
« on: September 27, 2006 07:23:42 AM »

I made these curtains a couple years ago, but I thought I'd show them off here.  Also, they're the only craft I have uploaded onto photobucket right now... =)

blue curtains for the middle child (my younger sister)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/Amalas/IMG_1053.jpg

closeup of the fabric
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/Amalas/IMG_1054.jpg

pink curtains for the youngest child (my youngest sister)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/Amalas/IMG_1055.jpg

red curtains for the kitchen
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/Amalas/IMG_1057.jpg

------------------
Tute with simple, but lengthy instructions (I like to be as clear as possible)
1.  Measure the entire length of the curtain rod where you will hang it.
2.  Add 50% to the rod length to get your total width of the curtain.  For example, if the curtain rod is 50 inches long, add 25 inches for a total of 75 inches.  This adds a little "poof" or "wave" in the curtain so it doesn't hang completely flat.
3.  Measure how long you want your curtain to be from the rod and add about 3 inches.  This measurement includes both the tab distance and the hem length.  Really, you're subtracting about 3 for the tabs and adding 6 or so for the hem, so it evens out to just adding 3.
4.  Cut out your rectangle.  You'll probably need to cut multiple pieces to get the right width, and that's okay.  Just sew them together to get the complete width.
5.  Cut out a rectangle that is the width of the curtain, with the length about 3-4 inches.  This will be the "backing" of the curtain that holds the tabs together.
6.  Decide how many tabs you want to have and how far apart.  I don't remember how I figured it out, but I think it was just a lot of playing around and tweaking.
**NOTE for steps 7&8**I read that someone just made one long tube and cut it into the right lengths afterward, and that seems like a much faster idea.
7.  Cut rectangles approximately 6 inches wide and 8 inches long.  These are your tabs.
8.  Fold the rectangle with right sides together so that you end up with something 3 inches wide and 8 inches long.  Sew up this seam so that it forms a tube, turn it right side out, and iron it.
9.  It might help to sew the hem of your curtain now so that you know which end is the top.  I did a simple zig-zag over the edge to seal it, then a straight stitch to sew the two parts together, but you can finish it how you want.  The bottom hem should be about 4-5 inches long.  This may seem like a big hem, but it helps add weight to the bottom of the curtain.
9.  Now form a sandwich with your different layers.  Put the front of the curtain down first, with the right side up and the top to, well, the top.  Fold your tabs in half so they are now 4 inches long.  Place the rough edges of the tabs on top of the front, flush with the top edge of the curtain.  Pin down the tabs to hold them.  Place your backing layer on top of all of this, with wrong side up.  Pin the whole thing and sew up that top edge.  There's a great tute (with pics) on this board somewhere that talks about adding tabs to a baby blanket, but darned if I could find it.
10.  Turn it all right side out so you can see your tabs, finish all edges, and iron.  You are now ready to hang your curtains!

You can make this in all sorts of lengths and it doesn't take very long to make.  I've heard of alternatives where you use ribbon ties instead of tabs, and that sounds like a cute idea.

Sorry for the long post, but enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011 08:48:51 PM by PixieVal - Reason: removed broken image tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
DivineMsN
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006 11:52:15 AM »

Thanks for the tute! I am getting ready to start making some new curtains soon and I am glad tht I found this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. - Oscar Wilde

www.divinemsn.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...