A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,886
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PC costumes that won't make our kids cry?  (Read 15912 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
bigeyes
« on: September 25, 2006 05:31:01 PM »

We are packing for a move, so my crafting time is very limited, but I cannot buy a costume for various reasons.  Our children go to a school where they are so limited it is nearly impossible to find a costume.

No blood, no weapons, no masks, no bare midriffs and no makeup!

So far the only ideas I've come up with were things like a tornado or alice in wonderland sticking out of a (box) house

wigs are ok, but without makeup or masks even things like clowns are out.

My daughter is only 8, but she wears small to medium women's clothing, so ready made kids costumes won't work, and the same costumes in adult sizes are waaaaaaaaay too skanky for me to allow her to leave the house.  My son can go as a jester without any makeup, but so far she has not liked any of the ideas we've given her. 

any ideas?

8(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
exkette
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006 05:53:07 PM »

Bride? Princess? Miss America? Butterfly? Queen? Spider? TV? Salsa dancer? Statue of Liberty? Harry Potter? M&M? Cheerleader? Puppy? Hobo? Old lady? Nun? Princess Leia? 40's movie star?

All of those could be done without makeup. I think 4th grade I was miss america, we bought a thrifted prom/bridesmaid dress, got a tiara, and made a felt sash. It was great!

I hope she finds something good!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006 05:55:01 PM by exkette » THIS ROCKS   Logged
woahitsmikayla
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006 05:55:23 PM »

Maybe a genie? I always wanted to do something like that. Or your typical witch?
Whatever she does, let us know!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006 06:02:52 PM »

she could be a christmas tree or a present. or grapes. is a pirate out? you could leave out the hook if thats considered a weapon. the princess things a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigeyes
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006 07:46:15 PM »

Bride? Princess? Miss America? Butterfly? Queen? Spider? TV? Salsa dancer? Statue of Liberty? Harry Potter? M&M? Cheerleader? Puppy? Hobo? Old lady? Nun? Princess Leia? 40's movie star?

I hope she finds something good!

bride, butterfly and spider were pooh-poohed, I like M &M and Statue of Liberty, so I'll run those past her. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigeyes
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006 07:47:32 PM »

Maybe a genie? I always wanted to do something like that. Or your typical witch?
Whatever she does, let us know!  Smiley

I'm pushing for a genie costume, it wouldn't be too hard to add a 'flesh toned' piece of fabric where the exposed middle is.

I hate this, they are putting so many restrictions on the holiday they may as well just not do anything.   I can understand the no guns thing, but no makeup OR masks?  yeesh.

8(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigeyes
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006 07:49:17 PM »

she could be a christmas tree or a present. or grapes. is a pirate out? you could leave out the hook if thats considered a weapon. the princess things a good idea.
princess she did already.  My son is easy, we found a jester costume and he can just not wear the face piece to school.

I'm also pushing for cotton candy.   They're at that age where anything we think is cute is too babyish, and anything they think is cute is completely out of the question!    I am so dreading the teen years.......

8(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RockinRobyn
Avid Reader

Oh You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006 08:34:27 PM »

What about:

Black Cat(with nose and whiskers painted on)
Mermaid (use flesh tone leotard to cover her belly)
Hippie
Rock Star
Movie Star
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigeyes
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006 11:23:43 PM »

hippie was a no-go, can't do the cat because ANY makeup is a no-no.

I am going to try to run mermaid, hula girl, belly dancer and cavewoman past her, with the understanding that the bellies will be covered with pink leotards or tank tops under the costume.

If she doesn't like these, I guess I'll buy her a white sheet. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006 02:15:43 AM »

what about a greek goddess or cleopatra?

wigs could or could not be used for either, but chitons are very simple garments - a couple layers of white fabric, 15 minutes of sewing, and some props would be all you'd need, and the skirt could be long or knee-length, depending on your climate and what's appropriate for an 8 year old. No need to invest in skanky adult costumes made from cheap polyester, you'd probably spend less if you hit up a fabric/craft store and a thrift or 2nd hand store for the props!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...