A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
128 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do YOU organize your beads, findings, tools, etc  (Read 5667 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cocoapod
« on: September 15, 2006 11:55:08 PM »

At the moment for the beads I just have those none-clear plastic trays that have lots of departments,  (each colour has their own tray). And then I have tool box-like plastic box that I keep my tools and findings in (there's two departments in it).

What about you, how do you organize them and are you happy with it?

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jewellery designer/silversmith and general arts and crafts addict. Open to some trades. Smiley
Bambridge Bears

The windows of the soul

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006 11:59:36 PM »

For my tools  i have a small bag that they go in to (wigjig included) so they are all together and i can also carry my latest project.
The beads are in lidded boxes with compartments.  Findings in one, crystals in another, other beads in another.
I don't have a lot of the same beads on hand as I like to make usually only one or two of an item.
But as I get deeper and deeper I know it will change!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cocoapod
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006 12:38:29 AM »

Lol you get deep very quick with jewellery making! I remember when I only had half a tray and thinking that I had lots! haha

I think my trays are the same as your lidded boxes. LOL I am never good at describing things  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jewellery designer/silversmith and general arts and crafts addict. Open to some trades. Smiley
Bambridge Bears

The windows of the soul

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006 12:42:35 AM »

I have been very good for a year, BUT as I started to sell and people are requesting smilar styles and the like I realised I need to have more on hand..... I am just trying to figure out what will go though to make room.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purple_hippo
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006 03:04:32 AM »

well I started knitting and paper crafts instead!
Well, not really!
I have about 12 plastic boxes, each labelled with a colour, the beads go into little snaplock bags (one type per bag, and odds and ends in another) and chucked into the box according to colour. Makes things easier to find when you want a specific project. I have: red, blue, yellow and gold, green, pink, purple, brown and neutral, black silver and multi, findings and charms, orange, white and another I can't think of! Hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
Daiquiri
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006 05:48:49 AM »

I had a large case with a snaplock lid for a while, with beads organized by color, but I just received a"bead carousel" as a gift. It had 3 cases with snaplock lids and it included glass beads, findings, wire/thread/hemp, and tons of different seed/bugle beads in assorted colors! 

That was a fun weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaboodle
kiss with your bang.

gangsta bitches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006 03:32:13 AM »

I used these clear plastic boxes that are seperated into little squares. I am a very unorganized beader though lol every now and now I will try & put everything back into place but its not long before it becomes messy again. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hawkwolf

I love to Maille!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006 03:43:03 AM »

I use a regular fishing tackle box, the kind with four compartmentalized trays that slide out? You can add or take away compartments with the little slide tabs, and a bigger spot for my pliers, and if it's something small enough that will 'leak' between compartments, I use film canisters.

The kicker? It's exactly the same as the bead organizers, and it's about one fourth the price. The bead masters are sucking us dry!! Stop the madness!  Grin

Have fun!
Tadd (AKA Hawkwolf)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom chain maille for sale!
"http://www.Hawkwolfs.com/"
 Hawkwolf's Armory and Accoutrements
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006 10:44:14 PM »

I have a locking tool box for my scissors and sewing tools.  For my jewelry tools I have some of the white plastic tabletop drawer thingys.  They are about 12" high and have 6 drawers, 2 wide, 3 high.  I also keep my adhesives and some of my smaller display items in it.

For my beads I have 3 storage bins.  The kind you get in the hardware store.  They have clear drawers about 2" wide.  One has 60 drawers and the other 2 have about 30 each.  I put most of my beads in clear plastic bags by color and then in the drawers so if they spill I dont have beads in the carpet.  I keep my findings sorted the same way.  I make sure to mark on the drawers those dedicated to sterling because I dont want to mistakenly use sterling when I think I'm using plated findings.  Big price difference.

For my larger bead qty, books, finished jewelry and beads I sell, I sell I have a small 3 drawer chest.  I keep those beads in plastic bags too and sorted by color and type.  Each drawer has those small plastic trays you can use for your kitchen or bathroom to help sort styles.

My storage has evolved over the last few years as my needs and space has changed.

I get most of my storage items from Walmart in the hardware dept.  Better prices than getting storage items in craft dept or stores.  I have a ton of the little tic tac type boxes but the lids on those wear out or break easily so I dont use them anymore.

When ever I buy new storage items I alway get something larger than I think I'm going to need because I alway underestimate, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
auburngirl
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006 04:55:19 PM »

I use a tackle box--it's got 4 clear plastic containers (the ones with dividers) and the there is a big open part on top.  I put each kind of bead in a mini-ziplock, then organize by color in the plastic containers.  In the top, I have my plier case, my jig, and various other tools. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007 08:19:47 AM by auburngirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning."
               -Albert Einstein
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...