A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
193 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm going to Toronto for a week....  (Read 2376 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

evolpixie

"I am like a tiger colt, rip rip RIP RIP!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 12, 2006 09:08:02 AM »

I was just wondering if you gys had any input on where/what shops and things we should check out while we're there. My boyfriend and I are staying at the Drake hotel which I think is on Queen St West? I've heard that west queen west is good for shopping....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i peddle tiny cuteness: * www.tinythingsarecute.com *
Bo-Baily
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006 08:51:46 AM »

Queen street west is GREAT for shopping. There are a lot of crafty stores just west of Spadina, including Arton Beads (THE BEST bead store, in my opinion), Bling Bling, Golden Beads, and Romni Wools if you're a knitter/crocheter. Keep walking east along Queen towards Younge for more shopping - clothing, accessories, etc. Then at Queen, you'll hit The Eaton Centre and you can shop there, make sure you shop along Younge just outside the Eaton Centre too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hayley by Design on Etsy and Flickr
evolpixie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006 09:31:42 AM »

yay! thank you for replying. we've been trying to research shopping online, but i guess i'd rather hear it from a "real" person.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all cut up
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006 06:30:13 PM »

Arton is definately the best bead shop.  Just so you know they have two stores right next door to each other and they both carry different stuff.

Two of my other favourites are The Black Market.  It's a second hand/new store and they have lots of different coloured teas which are great for printing on.  It is on the north side of Queen somewhere between University and Spadina, in the basement (there is a sandwich board on the sidewalk telling you its there.  The second store is Active Surplus, they have all sorts of weird stuff.  It's on the south side, just look for the giant stuffed gorilla wearing an orange shirt. This store is on the second floor.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006 06:32:31 AM »

Yes - love Queen West - there is also MacFab for fabric along there, some neat clothes stores, like Peach Beserk, and love Brava for used/vintage clothes.  I love Artons for sure, and am loving the Beadery that is directly across from it (check their site out - www.thebeadery.com I think) - more pricey but nicer selection of quality semi precious stones, and it sounds like they do individualized classes for jewelry making.

Also, there is the ribbon store, Mokuba along there, and some good kitchenware stuff.  There are more wool stores too other than Romni, one at St. Claire and Bathurst too.

Agree with Kensington, and it is just off Chinatown - there are some very neat stores for interesting things in Chinatown, along Spadina - two of my favourites are B&J Trading, and Plaiters Place.  There is an art supply place there too, Gwartzmans.  As well, you are not far from the OCAD - there is another art supply place there, and Currys on Queen, and another on McCaul.

Tonnes of good restaurants too in that area (Try East! across from the ChumCity building - plus lots of tasty and cheaper places in Chinatown - there is also the Thai Princess on King - I think that is the name).

When are you coming?  There is the Craftfestival (formerly Sewing and Needlework Festival) that is occuring in October.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all cut up
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006 02:38:50 PM »

What's this about the craftfestival?

I just moved to Peterborough from Toronto, but I would definately come back for that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006 02:58:29 PM »

Or maybe it is Creativfestival - here is the site:

http://www.csnf.com/f06_index.htm

It is held in downtown TO, usually the South Building of the Metro Convention Centre, or the National Trade Centre on the CNE grounds.  There are booths there from various craft retailers with exhibits of their goods, examples of product and technique.  Many have show special prices of their product.  Plus they organize classes for various techniques of various crafts, etc.  I love it - often get great ideas there.  If you have never been, it is wonderful - if you have been, often there are the same booths there every year, so you may see the same thing over and over again, but you go back to look for the things you can't find at the local retailers or the newest product.  Lots of crafts are represented - beading, scrapbooking, crochet, knitting, sewing, cross stitch, soapmaking, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all cut up
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006 08:12:14 AM »

Thanks!  I've marked my calendar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evolpixie

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006 12:20:36 PM »

oh happy shopping, but im glad im home now! i think i hit nearly every bead and button store, vintage shop and store in chinatown! thanks for suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006 06:47:09 PM »

Dish dish dish - tell us what you bought and where you went - I always love hearing about others shopping experiences!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...