A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 311,858
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Completed Sewing Project  (Read 2015 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caitak
« on: September 12, 2006 12:11:46 AM »

Normally I sew by hand and my only experience of sewing with a machine is limited to a pillow and a rag doll when I was at school. (Though the teacher was a little over-protective of her sewing machines and so we weren't allowed to do things like change the settings or thread them ourselves).

I was given a sewing machine a couple of years back but I just never had the time to actually get it out and use it.

Until I found this site and I had somewhere to show off my creations (I proudly posted my handsewn 'rabbits' a little while back).

Well yesterday I decided it was high time to get the machine out and figure out how the thing works. There was a lot of frustration but it's sort of come together for me. But I got bored just sewing lines onto scrap fabric, so I decided to attempt a project.

I used the pattern from this site and made the pencil case/clutch.

This is the result:

It's not particularly neat since I didn't really measure it, and also I hadn't really figured out how to sew a finishing stitch at this point. It took a little more playing around to get that.

The pencil case/clutch didn't take all that long to make, but sewing that button hole took me forever. I have this 4-step button hole maker setting but to begin with every test one I made was a disaster. Then I suffered a case of IBS (Irritable Bobbin Syndrome) and nothing worked for a while. Then I figured out that the bobbin tension was too tight, fixed it and suddenly they were all coming out perfect.

It's not the best button hole that I made yesterday, but I'm pretty proud of it Cheesy

And lastly, in use:

I had a drama meeting last night and so I took it along with me, I couldn't find more than three pens/pencils to put in it though.

Now they're joking that I'll be doing the costuming next year... at least, I hope they're joking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitty club
old is the new new

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006 12:45:46 AM »

That's awesome!
I think that the first project you make, no matter how simple, is of great value to you, and you will probably think affectionately about this project for years to come. This will inspire you to continue making more things, whether totally professional or not.

Remember, the word amateur comes from the French amour -  love of something! And I really like what you've done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
Petunia0384
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006 07:23:18 AM »

Cute! Smiley  It took me a week of cursing at my sewing machine to get my first project done, so you're off to a great start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
VaMountainFamily
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006 06:46:54 PM »

First of all, I'm ROFLMAO at "IBS"!!!

Great job with the clutch!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

April: momma to Abbie & Isaiah

Mountain Sprite Workshop!

I need Altoid tins! PM me!!!!
fragilesupernova
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006 01:03:32 AM »

That pencil case makes me want to go back to school. I absolutely adore it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
macabrechaos
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006 12:05:15 PM »

deja vu.....i had those same problems with my machine i also have a four step bottonhole maker what model is your machine mines a singer.....on my first project i used the exact same stitches
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my hobbies are  crochet sewing embriodery craft felt drawing painting comic books short stories poetry reading a hampster a mouse and a guinea pig soft toy and doll making clothes piano  maybe in the near future violin needle felting knitting  cross stitch another guinea pig and some new langauges
Caitak
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006 01:27:31 AM »

Mines a Brother I think it's a 5050 model.

Took me AGES to figure it all out. I barely moved all day. I don't think I even ate!

My next project is to make some cute bags out of some UGLY skirts I bought the other day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...