A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 314,799
Currently Running With Scissors:
223 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Boyfriend Sweater Curse  (Read 5578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

bijou_raoul
« on: September 11, 2006 01:59:22 PM »

I have had a work in progress going for my boyfriend since last winter.  It was supposed to be his Christmas present, but I ended up not having enough yarn to finish it, and we moved a couple of times since then, and so it has been sitting around for the past few months and I'm just now about to pick it back up and complete it.  The thing is, I'm terrified to finish it. 

I know all about the boyfriend sweater curse, and I told him about it too, and I let him know that I didn't want to finish it if it would mean the end of our beautiful relationship of almost 4 years.  He thinks I'm crazy for being afraid, but I've heard LOTS of horror stories about the curse being true.  I've knit other things for him before, but never a sweater, and so I'm worried about what might happen.  I don't consider myself a superstitious person, but it seems like this curse is eerily accurate.  It seems that a lot of it is rooted in the fact that your BF might not like what you make for them, but he picked out the colors and pattern and everything with me and he's liked everything else I've ever made him so I know that won't be an issue.  I'm just paranoid. 

Am I crazy for feeling this way?  Has anyone else been able to "break the curse"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RunsWithNeedles
chyeah

i like to get naked.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006 02:02:38 PM »

well, i knit a sweater for my ex-boyfriend. yeahhhhhhh..enough said.
lol. well, i never FINISHED it, like sewing it together. but dang. whatever. it's a good thing i decided.

but, i read in Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's book At Knit's End
something about how people used to believe that if you knit a hair of yours into the sweater/garment you're giving, that person will  be bound to you forever.

so, hey..worth a shot? yes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sit right next to me<br />Against the glass<br />Where we both can see<br />Focus on the ground<br />Disbelief of where we used to be<br />--"Troposphere" by Steve Burns--
kyou

Pinktank - The Knitters Army

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006 02:49:20 PM »

I finished a sweater for my boyfriend after we had been together for just 6 weeks, almost nothing compared to 4 years! So you should not be worried about it. I've been with my guy for 2 years now and I've knit him 6 sweaters. I don't believe in the curse!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinktank.etsy.com - Hat Patterns

Check out my blog and enter my first contest! http://thepinktank.blogspot.com
ultraviolet
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006 03:01:32 PM »

I've knit my boyfriend two sweaters, a couple of years ago. We've been together for 5 years now and recently bought a house together. So there.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
xchinagurlyx
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006 06:56:38 PM »

I knit my boyfriend a sweater when I was still new to the whole knitting thing.  Needless to say, it was crummy.  But we just had a laugh about it and we're still together. 

I personally think the whole curse thing is silly.  There are probably bigger problems in a relationship than a hand-made sweater. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistresscandace

make crafts, not war

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006 07:27:03 PM »

As long as he knows you are making him a sweater and he has a bit of say in it (colors, style, etc) then I am sure that you will avoid the curse. Wink  I haven't knit sweaters yet, but I have knit the boy some scarves and other winter things.  He hasn't left yet and we recently moved in together.  Maybe knitting can actually be a bond instead of a repellant.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SabrinaJL
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006 07:45:38 PM »

something about how people used to believe that if you knit a hair of yours into the sweater/garment you're giving, that person will  be bound to you forever

I've never heard that one.  If that's true everyone I've ever knit anything for will be bound to me until the end of time.  I have very long hair and lots of it tends to end up in my knitting.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iScreamedMyselfHoarse
Boldly screaming where no one has screamed before...

And Jesus, I'm ready to go home...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006 08:00:46 PM »

I've never heard that one.  If that's true everyone I've ever knit anything for will be bound to me until the end of time.  I have very long hair and lots of it tends to end up in my knitting.   Roll Eyes

Oh I hear that!! I always try to pull out the obvious pieces of hair so people don't get grossed out!
Hmm the curse... I think it mostly has to do with dudes that are surprised by sweater gifts and don't really like sweaters and don't appriceate the EMENSE effort that goes into a sweater. If he loves you and understands how much work knitting a sweater is (and it seems like your guys does) I don't think you have anything to worry about!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He wraps Himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide and trembles at His voice... How great is our God!

PM me if you would like to trade something knitted for a size 12-20 Built by Wendy sewing Pattern... never been used!
cnp71201
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006 08:28:35 PM »

something about how people used to believe that if you knit a hair of yours into the sweater/garment you're giving, that person will  be bound to you forever

Haha, I was just going to post that! I have that problem also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006 08:28:57 PM »

i'm in the same boat as ultraviolet.

i knit for the boy, he crochets for me. neither one of us is going anywhere.

come on now, if you're *really* afraid he'll leave, don't you think there are probably issues that go deeper than yarn?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '........................................................')
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs
Rainy Days

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...