A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 321,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
232 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Curling  (Read 2390 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

TheFeltedOwl
« on: September 07, 2006 02:25:45 PM »

I am a brand new knitter, I just learned (good) last night and I am working on a scarf but my edges are rolling under... does that mean I am knitting too tight? That would be my guess since I tend to crochet too tight too.
Is there any way to fix it? Can I iron them down when im done?
Sorry if I sound naive because I am when it comes to knitting!  Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged
canarysanctuary
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006 02:31:33 PM »

My first projects did that too - and I tried to iron them out as well! As it turns out, my problem was that I was working in stockinette stitch (which means using the knit stitch all on one side and the garter stitch all on the other).  Stokinette always curls, that's the nature of the beast (great for round items like sweaters, not so great for scarves).
This may or may not be the problem.  Hope it helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
IamSusie
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006 02:52:01 PM »

Actually stockinette stitch isn't garter stich on one side, one side is the knit side and the other is the purl side.  Garter stitch is what you get when you knit every row.  Garter stitch lays flat, stockinette curls. 

Good luck!  I think blocking it may help. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imthemonkeyqueen
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006 02:56:57 PM »

That happened to me too when I first started knitting. I mad my mom a scarf and did stockinette for the whole thing. It was all curly, too. I tried blocking it, but I did it wrong and the scarf was all ruined. Needless to say, my scarves are a little better looking. Good luck with your knitting, it will get lots easier and fun. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's like making music with your mouth!
TheFeltedOwl
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006 03:46:35 PM »

Ahh! I am using the stockinette stitch... ugh! I am so far in it too.... should i just quit and go to garter stitch?? or can I finish it? Does ironing work? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CatieD
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006 03:57:11 PM »

Since you can crochet, I'd suggest something like a shell edging or something similar around the scarf after you've finished knitting.

Happy knitting Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like word games, try Babble.  www.playbabble.com
natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006 04:03:34 PM »

Congratulations on becoming a knitter, you've just had your first rite of passage into "the club"!  Grin EVERYONE does this the first time, don't feel bad.

A good way to solve it is to knit another piece identical to the one you're making now and seam it up the sides. It will be double thick, but have the pretty look of the knit stitches on both sides.

(Crocheted edges help too, as suggested by the previous poster)

In the future, either knit ribbed instead of stockinette, or knit in the round so your scarf is a tube.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
itesser

utor is totus pro bonus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006 04:07:50 PM »

I'd say do a crochet border!

There are lots of ways around it. Sometimes people do a seed stitch border, or garter stitch border (three or so stitches on each end of each row of the different pattern) to prevent curling.

Another way is to make the first stitch of each row a slip stitch. ie: slip 1, knit to end; next row, slip 1 purl to end.

That doesn't make the problem go away, but it does make it less noticable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nongshim
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006 06:00:01 PM »

Double knitting is a great way to get the look of stockinette on boths sides of the scarf and avoid the curling. Plus, as the name implies, you get a double layer of thickness and the extra warmth that comes with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006 06:12:18 PM »

Personally I am a big fan of the seed stitch border, especially if you don't crochet yet.  I do rather like a crochet edge too, just not on my scarves.  If you don't want the look of a seed stitch border, just make it 1 stitch wide (the first and last stitch of every row is knit regardless of wether you are on the purl side or knit side) and it will almost be unnoticeable.  Actually, I think it looks neater then the edge of stocking stitch fabric, personally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands
Halloween Houses (Haunted, of course!)
Meatless Monday: Golden Apple Cornbread

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...