A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 314,008
Currently Running With Scissors:
161 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: resizing boot shaft?  (Read 3400 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2006 12:22:07 PM »

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have attempted reconstructing leather shoes or anything like that. My dilemma is, my feet are unusually wide, which makes it really hard to find shoes that fit. And unfortunately, I love those calf-high boots. Last year, I found a nice basic black boot that was in my double-wide size. I didn't realize until they came in that they made the part that goes around your calves extra-wide as well (which makes them huge on my legs), but I kept them because I could literally not find any other boots in my size, even though they really don't fit under any of my bootcut pants very well at all.

All my attempts to find other boots have failed miserably (I just got my latest attempt today, and I have to send them back because they hurt terribly for even the minute I wore them to try them on.  Cry ) So I'm thinking I'll just try to take in the shaft on the boots I already had. But since they are nice leather boots and they were more on the expensive side (the only price range that actually fits me, unfortunately), I  obviously don't want to mess them up so I was wondering if any of you had any tips for me. I do know how to sew, and I do have access to leather needles. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006 11:23:57 PM »

I think I would go to a cobbler or a tailor that is experienced with leather or shoes. Since the shaft of the boot is probably much easier and more like fabric to work with than the shoe part, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to sew...but I, like you, would be afraid to mess around with 'em myself.

Maybe you could add some straps around the shaft and kind of fold it inward? That might be uncomfortable if the shaft isn't supple enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
Perfect Doak
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006 01:57:08 PM »

I bought a pair of boots last year (or the year before...?) that were too big around the calf.
I thought a cobblers would be able to fix them for me. Responses included:
"Not to a satisfactory level"
"It'd cost about 50"
"We used to, but people complained when they ended up too small"
"No, we don't do that any more"
"Try a dressmaker" (dressmakers said no)
"No, but I know of another place" (when I phoned up the other place, they said no).

So, I was pretty annoyed. I'm planning to get some leather needles and give it a go myself. I'll let you know how it turns out if I ever get round to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006 02:35:30 PM »

I think depending on how big they are you might be able to add straps with snaps on to them. Make a strap about two or three inches long or whatever you feel you need. Get those snap kits that uses a hammer to apply them. (These are the ones with a middle post in them not the little ones with the coloured glass looking snaps)
Slide the snap and an anvil of some sort (like a flat rock) inside the boot and line up where you want the strap to go. You will put the male side of the snap into the boot. Then the female snap would go on the strap. Next figure out how much you wanted taken in on the boot part and add the second male section of the snap to the boot. Your stap will have two of the cap snaps so they will be finished better and look nicer on the outside. Then just tuck in the part that has to be taken in. One way to help keep that folded part smoother and more comfortable use a couple of clothers pins or those clip like paper clips to hold the folded parts you want taken in. This will help it to becoming more supple and fold flatter for you.
I'm not sure I described this very well but I hope it helps you out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldencrafter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006 08:04:15 AM »

I would suggest a strap as well. If you have a picture of them that might help us get more creative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smartygirl

riding the angst train all the way to the f-word

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006 11:33:48 AM »

i used to know a woman who got all of her boots taken in here in toronto, but i don't know where she got it done. definitely did not do it herself though - she was not crafty at all!

me, i have the opposite problem, nothing fits over my wide calves...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: No-Kill Cactus
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Skirt
Meatless Monday: Naan Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...