A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
254 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WHat am I doing wrong? (learning to knit) Please Help!!!  (Read 893 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: September 04, 2006 12:27:47 PM »

Ok please someone help me!!  Huh
I am just learning to knit and I bought a very good cd-rom and some needles and yarn, etc was all ready to go and I can not do the knit stitch!
I wish I could explain it better but I will try.

I insert the needle through the stitch on the left needle, pull it up and through so I have a loop over the right needle but when I get to the point to let the old stitch off the left needle, it just falls off and everything comes loose so I end up with no stitch on either needle. does that make sense?
I have studied everywhere online I and it looks like i am doing it right but when I study whats on my needle and what I am doing it makes sense it would fall out as the only thing holding the loop on the right needle is the stitch on the left so if I let that one off,  the loop just falls out and becomes a single piece of yarn again.

Ugh I am so frustrated, its been two days and I cant get past this first stitch...  Cry

Any advice on what I may be doing wrong??

get down off your high horse and buy me a taco.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006 12:36:14 PM »

i can't really tell where you're going wrong - but here's how i do a knit(garter) stitch. (i hope that's what you mean ...  a purl stitch is done differently.)

so you have your right needle, and you stick it in the bottom of the stitch that is on your left needle. now take your yarn and wrap it around your right needle. what you wind up with is both needles, sticking up through the same stitch, with the yarn in between them.

now take your right needle, and use it to pull the yarn out the bottom of the stitch (i know this is hard to explain). when you pull the yarn through the stitch, you're going to have a new loop on your right needle. now you can slide the original loop off your left needle.

does this help at all? if not, let me know and i can make some bad photoshop diagrams for you.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006 01:20:09 PM »

Well that sounds exactly like what I am doing and have double checked it with diagrams Ive seen online and my video, it looks right but doesnt work!

but I dont end up with a loop on my right needle when I pull the left one off, it just falls off and unties itself back to a single yarn strand, occassionally I end up with a loop but its not on any needle, and it never was there, the left hand needle loop just falls off and disappears and my right hand needle has no yarn on it.

Ugh this is difficult!

get down off your high horse and buy me a taco.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006 10:37:03 PM »

hey, how are you casting on?
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006 10:40:13 PM »

Well I tried both the easy way like just creating a loop over your finger and pulling the needle through it and I tried the slingshot or Y method also.

I think I just figured out what I was doing wrong! Hope so anyway! I just tried putting my needle into the stitch on the RIGHT side of the yarn and that seemed to work! I was putting it through anywhere in the stitch thus not creating a loop on my right needle.. it seems to be working but now i need some more help...

What do I do with the slip knot? Do I knit in it too??

Thanks so much everyone, I feel so dumb but I will get this.. I know i will Smiley

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006 11:20:00 PM »

You knit into all the loops on your needle.

The best site I found for answering problems (besides here at Craftsters of course)is http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/knit.php

It shows you via videos how to do things.

utor is totus pro bonus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006 02:58:55 AM »

I don't know what CD-Rom you have, but knittinghelp.com is definitely a great resource.

Good luck! I love teaching knitting in person, so my hands and eyes are itching to help you troubleshoot, but it's difficult through text.

Don't worry too much, you've got a great bunch of people here to give a hand (or needle) or two. Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Wire Air Plant Holders
March 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Corgi Puppy!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...