A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 313,925
Currently Running With Scissors:
263 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cables and gauge?  (Read 1227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

knitticle

staring at the sun

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2006 02:51:47 PM »

Hi everybody! I just started knitting the Marseilles Pullover from Summer 2006 Interweave Knits (literally, I'm about 4 rows in  Smiley)  and I already have a gauge question...

The gauge is listed as followed: 20 sts and 25 1/2 rows = 4" in k1, p4 rib on larger needles after blocking; 70 center sts of cable chart =12" wide after blocking, with suggested needle sizes of 8 and 7. (Smaller needles are only used on the neckband) I knitted a few swatches for the rib, and had to go two sizes to a 6 and got a tiny bit smaller than gauge when stretching the rib only slightly...but didn't block.

I figured I'd be okay, but I started knitting the back and it is HUGE. Like, about 3" bigger than the recommended measurement for the back. I haven't gotten to the cable part yet--just the 4X1 ribbing on the bottom. Anyway, I'm wondering--this is an Aran sweater, will the cables pulling in the fabric account for a 3" difference? Or should I go down a few more sizes?

I'm thoroughly confuzzled  Undecided Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

because, you see, the internet is made up of a series of tubes...
knitticle
brit0602
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006 06:48:42 PM »

The pattern I'm working on now has cables down the sides and that does the shaping on it's own.  Cable's do bring the fabric in b/c a lot of stitches are being worked over each other and the rib should shrink it a little too.  If your gauge is right and you measured yourself right then I think it should probably work out.  I would just keep trying it on as I went through to make sure and also check IK corrections page and make sure nothing gets added.  What's everyone else think???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KNITTER'S GEEK CODE Grin
K C R +++ Exp+ Spm++ Bam+++ Addi> Cot+ Baa++ Lux+ Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin>+ Ent(soon) FI Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt++ Circ ML>+++ Swatch KIP++ EZ FO++ WIP+(+) GuageAll ALTX+Sp>+++
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006 09:54:13 AM »

Hi everybody! I just started knitting the Marseilles Pullover from Summer 2006 Interweave Knits (literally, I'm about 4 rows in  Smiley)  and I already have a gauge question...

The gauge is listed as followed: 20 sts and 25 1/2 rows = 4" in k1, p4 rib on larger needles after blocking; 70 center sts of cable chart =12" wide after blocking, with suggested needle sizes of 8 and 7. (Smaller needles are only used on the neckband) I knitted a few swatches for the rib, and had to go two sizes to a 6 and got a tiny bit smaller than gauge when stretching the rib only slightly...but didn't block.

I figured I'd be okay, but I started knitting the back and it is HUGE. Like, about 3" bigger than the recommended measurement for the back. I haven't gotten to the cable part yet--just the 4X1 ribbing on the bottom. Anyway, I'm wondering--this is an Aran sweater, will the cables pulling in the fabric account for a 3" difference? Or should I go down a few more sizes?

I'm thoroughly confuzzled  Undecided Any suggestions?

Socks that I have done that are heavily cabled do pull in a bit (quite a bit). 

Don't forget there will be 1" lost for side seams, unless you are knitting in the round. 

I suggest re-measuring when you get into the patterned area after having knit a chunk of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrappy Hearts
It's Pee-wee's Playhouse!
Craft Challenge #123 Spring Color Winner: Mistress Jennie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...