A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 319,835
Currently Running With Scissors:
228 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japanese chic - drawstring pouches! Text Tutorial Added  (Read 11730 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2004 01:10:37 PM »

Whilst I'm not particularly fond of dark navy or indigo blues, I WOULD find myself wearing a gorgeous, simple, indigo blue kimono with subtle pinstripes...with a slight hint at the sleeve openings of a magnificent, vibrant crimson and white shibori juban...along with a lushly woven obi.  To me...the essence of iki (chic).

So, with my longing in mind - I decided to make a four pouches, using some of the nice indigo died or stenciled navy blue vintage silk I had...giving them intense vintage silk vibrant linings, depending on how busy the outer pattern was.  I was quite happy with how they came out!

Top pouch: Stenciled navy/blue design on black  
Second Pouch: Indigo with faint white pinstripes
Third pouch: Woven navy with white and red dots
Fourth pouch: Indigo shibori

http://www.immortalgeisha.com/pm/images/082204_indigopouches1.jpg

Linings:

http://www.immortalgeisha.com/pm/images/082204_indigopouches2.jpg

Tutorial Added.  

This is a pretty simple and easy pouch to make - and great to keep make-up, coins and other small objects in it :]  I hope my instructions make sense!

Pouch Outside and Lining Template
On stiff cardboard draw a rectangle that is 14cm long and 13.5 cm wide.  This will be the basis of your pouch and lining template. On the bottom two corners - measure from the corner in by 6 cm both width and length.  Draw the 6x6cm square.  From the inside corner formed by drawing the square - mark 6cm in the direction to the outer corner.  Now, draw a curve along those points. Once you have done this - you have your pouch template

IMPORTANT NOTE: This template does NOT have seam allowance added.  I trace the template onto small rectangular fabric and sew along the trace line THEN I cut it out with a 0.5 cm seam allowance left outside of the sewing line. I personally found it is easier to work this way.

Drawstring Hem Template:
On stiff cardboard, draw a rectangle that is 3cm long and 15 cm wide

IMPORTANT NOTE: This template DOES HAVE a 5mm (0.5cm) seam allowance already added!

With the drawstring hem - fold over the two short ends by 0.5cm and very neatly hand stitch down.  The stitching WILL show on the outside - so keep it straight!

Once you have done this - you can then fold it in half so the length is now only 1.5cm, not 3cm and iron the centre crease.  You may want to pin this together until you are ready to sew it on the pouch.

Pouch Construction

Now that you have your pouch template and drawstring hem prepared - you can place the pouch template down on the wrong side of your outer fabric - and trace around it.  This line is your sewing line.  Do the same with the lining fabric. DO NOT CUT YET!  Pin the fabrics together securely and sew ON the line you traced. With the outer fabric - you can sew the entire thing - leaving the top open.  On the lining fabric - be sure to leave a small opening on the side (and the top as well, I guess!) so that you can turn the pouch the correct way - once you sew it together.

Once you have done this - you can now cut your pouches out.  Be sure to cut 0.5 cm away from the sewing line!

Now, we need to make the curved corners look nice!  Firstly, clip your corners.  Once you have done that - heat the iron up and grab your cardboard template. Put your cardboard template on top of your sewn fabric - within the sewing lines and then iron the seams over the top of your cardboard template.  This will help the seams sit nice and flat when it is finished.  It is most important that you get the corners ironed very nicely. Do this to both the outside and lining pieces.  Now, you can turn both pieces inside out, so that you have the right side of the fabric facing out.  Carefully iron the seams, being sure not to mess up the first ironing.

Once you have finished pressing the seams.  Turn the lining piece back inside out - so the wrong side is on top.  Keep the outside piece facing right side up.

Get your drawstring hem that you prepared previously, and line the raw edges up with the top of the pouch (the drawstring hem should be right side fabric against right side fabric on the pouch...with the pressed crease facing down.  Hand baste on.  Do the same with the other drawstring hem, and other side.

Now, we are ready to sew the two pieces together!

Get your lining fabric that is still inside out - with the wrong side facing out.  You need to now put the outside fabric, with the right side showing out - inside the lining fabric.  The lining and outside fabric should be right sides touching.  Start pining from the side seams - making sure they match.  Once you have it pinned securely - you can now sew them together - with a 0.5cm seam allowance at the top.

Once you have sewn it together...you can pull the outside fabric through the hole in seam of the lining.  Turn the pouch the right way.  

You can now do invisible stitch to sew the whole in the lining seam closed.  Once you have done this - you may want to re-press the seams of both the lining and outside - especially teh bottom curves.

Unpick the basting stitch holding the drawstring hem down and press the drawstring hem and top pouch seam - so the drawstring hem faces upwards and lays flat.

Cut two pieces of string/cord/whatever to use at the drawstring.  These need to be the same length.  Take one cord and thread it through starting on the right hand side and thread it through both drawstring hems.  It should exit on the right hand side.  Take your other cord and thread it through the left hand side and through both drawstring hems to exit on the left hand side.

Knot the ends of your cords, make sure your lining is now inside the pouch...press yet again and voila! Finito!

I hope this made sense :]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011 09:37:53 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
neany

So let your hips do the talking

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004 01:26:04 PM »

very nice! And you always have such beautiful fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suz1138
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004 04:49:53 PM »

nice job, those turned out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suz1138
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004 04:51:50 PM »

nice job, those turned out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aspenglow
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004 04:41:09 PM »

My aunt made my sisters and I each a little pouch just like those... let's see... probably 16 years ago (!) and I had forgotten all about them! We kept marbles and things in them... thank you for the tutorial, I may have to make some for us again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!
@Home This Weekend: Stylish Jacket For Your Pooch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...