A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,840
Currently Running With Scissors:
253 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: nothing i make fits me!  (Read 1283 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
kidcompassion

get down off your high horse and buy me a taco.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 27, 2006 04:45:03 PM »

i do quite a bit of sewing, and EVERY TIME i make something from a pattern it comes out too big, all over. and not just a little bit too big, but like an extra 4-5 inches - usually i just try it on and keep taking it in a bit at a time until it fits - is this normal when you're making clothes from a pattern? do you ladies have similar problems?

i'm being very careful about measuring myself and picking patterns not by size but according to my measurements. i'm using the requested seam allowance and type of fabric.

maybe there's some other little sewer's tip that i don't know about?  like a trick when taking your measurements, or cutting the pattern or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006 05:10:19 PM »

you need to fit the pattern.  The quick way done in a lot of home ec classes was to pin the paper together and do a careful test fit of the pinned paper.  Another way is cut the pattern in cheap cloth (unbleached muslin frequently goes on sale for under $1 a yard) and using a longer stitch length baste it together and fit it down.  Ink the seam line when you get a good fit and trace off you adjusted pattern.

Patterns almost never fit right out of the envelope on *anyone* so you aren't alone.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
kidcompassion

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006 05:20:55 PM »

i'll totally do that from now on. thank you so much!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006 05:49:27 PM »

after a while you'll be able to look at a pattern and tell how much needs to go away.  But I still do test fits, just in case I need to do more than the usually at 6 inches on length and take out 2 inches at the hips trick.

your welcome  Grin

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006 07:48:30 AM »

I like to use vogue patterns now because of that issue.  I used to use simplicity and they were miles to big.  Vogue fits right off the pattern most of the time.  To me its worth the extra money to buy them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006 03:18:06 PM »

On most patterns the back of the pattern shows the bust measurement which is actually the chest measurement.  Check the pattern piece for the actual bust, waist and hip measurements.  Each pattern is also sized for ease.  Take a look at the description to see if it is very fitted, fitted, semi-fitted, loose fitting etc.  Each description will let you know how much ease is added to the pattern.  All pattern books have a section for the particular brand that will give you the amount of ease for the description.  Some people may wear a size 10 Vogue pattern but a size 12 McCalls.  Nancy Zeiman has some great books available that give you wonderful detailed instructions on how to fit patterns and alter them too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
hejin
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006 06:23:58 PM »

I've heard that Simplicity, Butterick and McCalls patterns may at times run a size too big, while Burda patterns are the closest-fitting. Maybe you could take that into consideration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kidcompassion

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006 06:42:23 PM »

thanks you guys! i'm sure this will help in my next project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...