A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 315,260
Currently Running With Scissors:
149 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First share - Photos  (Read 872 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mlsocci74
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 25, 2006 07:49:07 AM »

Hey there.  I would love your thoughts on these 2 pics.  I am just trying to improve my photography and would love your hones opinions.  Thanks for looking!! 

Just a note.  These were done with a canon s2 is   Someday I want the rebel, but only when I am sure it is worth the investment.  Smiley  Thanks
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006 09:25:52 AM by Mlsocci74 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewitup
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006 08:14:30 AM »

I'm no photographer, but i love these pics ! You have really captured the drops in motion down the petals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps ! Feel free to PM me !

http://www.wists.com/sewitup/all

http://www.Sewitup.etsy.com
maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006 06:57:24 PM »

the clarity in these pictures are gorgeous, most begining photographers seem to have slightly blury pictures but these are very crisp. i do have a few suggestions however. flowers (especialy these kind it seems) are very very popular subjects of photography (especialy with begining photographers) it is important to make yours stand out, to make it look unique or else your viewer is going in glance right by it because they have seen the same (or a very simmilar) picture many times before. your second picture seems to stand out more than your first mostly because of this reason. another reason your second picture is stronger is because you have effectively used the "rule of thirds" (whether you knew it or not) basicly just think of your photograph as a 9 square grid (you know, tick-tack toe style) the strongest place to put a subject is in the crosses of 4 of those squares (slightly off center and slightly to the top or bottom of the picture) placing a subject in the center of a picture (like you have done in your first one) generaly gives it a rather plain and average quality, like something that the average person could just look out thier window and see for themself. as an artist i think it's your job to take the everday subject, like a flower, and present it in a way taht the average person may not see it. also another small suggestion i have to make these existing photographs stronger would be to increase the saturation and the contrast of the colours. it's very evident that these flowers are just bursting with colour that these photographs seem to dull out a little bit (that's normal in pictures) i would suggest taking them into photoshop or any other basic photo editing program and increasing the contrast and saturation until the colours are as bold (or even bolder) than they were in real life. other than these couple pointers i think these are great pictures and i think you have much potential! keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
Mlsocci74
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006 09:30:55 PM »

Thank you both for the compliments and thank you for all the awesome advice.  It is a little hard to remember all the "rules of thumb" for photography, but I know if i keep at it, I will get there.  Thank you both for taking the time to leave your thoughts!!!  Much appreciated!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006 09:44:22 PM »

gosh I looked at both and could swear i could smell them! Now if that's not suggestive photography I don't know what is!
i will say tha I agree with the points that  malificent said about the different perspective between the two. I was drawn and looked longer at your second picture than I did the first. But i swear I had never heard of the rule of thirds before. That is so interesting. So I'd like to say thank you to you for posting this and maleificent for the tips! I know i'll be looking through my viewfinder differently from now on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...