A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
146 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charging Tax--Need Permit--Need Advice!  (Read 1822 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2004 08:12:31 AM »

The lady running the fair I'll be doing in Novemeber said I need a permit to charge tax (I live in New Jersey). Do any of you know if you NEED a permit to charge tax? I'm 14, and I don't pay income tax, obviously, so I wouldn't need to charge it, right? This is my first fair, so I am unsure of what to do. My plan as of now is to not get the permit, and not charge tax. How does that sound? Do any of you have any experience with tax and craft fairs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hummer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004 08:16:28 AM »

Your permit would be for charging sales tax.  I am not a resident of New Jersey, but I suspect regardless of your age,  all sellers at the fair will be required to charge sales tax.  You may well need to have the sales permit under your parents wing,  as your age might prohibit you getting one in your own name.

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004 08:51:56 AM »

I talked to my mom about this, and she says I should not get the permit and not charge the tax. Now that there are two opinions on the deal, I am undecided. Thanks for your input, hummer. Does anyone else out there have EXPERIENCE with this? I want to know some details about getting the permit. Does it take a long time to go through?

Oh, and the lady from the fair said it isn't imperitive that I have the permit, but it is a good idea in case some fedral people come around. Which, she also said, the chances of that are pretty low... and there will be a lot of vendors there (I worked the snack cart last year, so I saw first hand) so why would they single out my booth? Please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hummer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004 01:23:29 PM »

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/text/su_7txt.htm

This is a link to the State of New Jersey. This gives some basic information about who needs a tax permit.  There are links to more information on this site.  Maybe this will help more than any opinions I might offer.  Remember my opinion was free,  and therefore I wouldn't give it too much credence.

Whatever you decide to do (or not do) about the tax permit,  I hope you sell lots at the fair.  What kind of things are you going to be selling?

J

THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004 01:50:00 PM »

Thank you for all of your help. I'm having a booth with another friend, and she's selling mostly tie skirts. After all, she does have 150 ties in her room. I might help with some of the skirts. Me, personally, I am going to be selling a variety of things... marble magnets, record bowls, decopaged mirrors (using issues of Weekly World News), things for Christmas trees (the fair is in November), old clothes of mine (revamped with ribbon, fabric paint, bleach, etc.), shaving cream cards, photo albums and frames revamped, and decorated marble notebooks. I may take some things away, add some new things, etc. The fair is the first Saturday of November, so I've got a lot of time to work things out.

Again, thanks for finding me that site and for all your opinions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...