A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,896
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any ideas for decorating my tiny apartment?  (Read 1964 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
soupurrrvhixin
if you know i'm showing up, i hope you come with your camera

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2006 02:00:16 PM »

oh how, oh how am i going to decorate this tiny apartment for christmas?

any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006 12:50:52 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit me online!
http://ghettosaralee.com
KTW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006 02:14:00 PM »

Windows, Doors, & More Cheesy  Tabletops, lampshades, and a small but beautiful "tree," whether ceramic or realistic. Garland of your liking with bows / ornaments goes a long way to cheer and warm a space.

I used some ultra-cheap mini Christmas ornaments on a puffed paper background with hot-glued yarn outlining a tree shape. They look "real," not at all like the cheap plastic they are, and in reference to the size of the tree, their large size adds pizazz. Framed by mounting on a cool-shaped puffed paper "matt" that's also embellished around edges and incorporates a hanging string.

Imagination rules ... and creativity to meet your challenge will thrill you as you decorate. Have fun!

- Katie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rented_angel
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006 08:17:48 PM »

Oh the joys of living in a small apartment.  I understand.  Moving into a little one bedroom apartment this year...I've kind of been thinking the same thing.  Huh
I can't seem to find the link to this...but a while ago I saw a tree outlined on the wall with garland.  I thought it was pretty cute and humerous.  maybe it's labeled as "ghetto tree?"  Not sure...
And I'm thinking just to decorate around what I already have.  On the window sills, on top of the television and stereo. I don't know it can't be too hard to decorate someplace this small...I think I just have to be careful not to over-do it. Smiley
Good luck, and I'll keep checking this post to see if any other craftsters have great ideas. Smiley
elizabeth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KendraLandstander

Fandango . . . ? Ho- hobo camp? HOBO CAMP!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006 04:44:24 AM »

throw a wreath on the door, and "Rudolph" in the VCR and you've decorated sufficiantly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll only private swap with you if you swear to read my blog everyday. SWEAR IT!

http://madeofmagic.blog.com

Ravelry.com: ridebikes
pshh michelle
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006 02:49:52 PM »

at my old tiny apartment we used to cut out snowflakes tape em to fishingline and hang them from the ceiling. it looks cute when its done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscribe
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006 03:16:34 PM »

My first Christmas far away from home with the parents flying in to visit was the year of ribbons and bows.

I had some flocked ribbon I had picked up (OK, several reels that I had gotten at after Christmas sales - maybe you could get some half with all the sales right now) and a bow maker I had never tried out.

Every doorway had two big bows with long tails in each corner. I draped additional ribbon across the doorway like a garland. Lampshapes got a bow. Wall pictures got at least one bow.

I used some of the little craft picks here and there to add a little greenery to some of them.

Tiny lighted and decorated Christmas tree on top of the TV and a cheap tablecloth for the dinner table.

It was so simple but turned out so elegant. It soon will be 10 years since I did that and Mom still talks about how beautiful I made my apartment for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krazykt1286
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006 08:08:54 AM »

i live in a dorm, so i feel the small area pain...the roomie and i did paper snowflakes everywhere as pshh michelle mentioned. we have them hanging from our curtains and hanging by one of our mirrors w/ a couple taped onto the mirror itself.  we have some taped to a blank spot on our wall and small ones made from post-it notes on one of the beds in the room. we have a white christmas tree and one white stocking hanging in our room and a little animated snowman thinger. we went w/ winter wonderland type theme instead of christmas Smiley it's cute. we get lots of compliments on the snowflakes. and they provide entertainment to just look @ the various ways we cut them...wow, i'm rambling. kinda hyper...i apologize.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Petunia0384
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006 09:17:47 AM »

I've tried to keep things simple to keep from cluttering the place.  I have a mini real pine tree (I don't know the species name or anything), decorated with lights and ornaments/garland that I found in the 2 for $5 section at Target. Smiley  I first had it when I was a freshman, and now I'm a first year grad student...  And I don't know what mom and dad do to it between January and November, but the thing is getting pretty big! Smiley

I also have little stuffed animals...  Snoopy, Woodstock, snowman, and an angel.  I have a mini nativity scene.  Last year, I had a really cute mini gingerbread village that I came up with out of pieces from the dollar store, but I didn't bring it back because I don't have any table space for it in my new 1 BR apt. Sad

I also have an advent calendar, and a jingle bell candy cane. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006 09:32:52 AM »

I live in a small apartment too (with my bf and 2 kitties...pretty crowded and no poinsettas!) Anyway, I tack garland (red and green shiny...but that may be overkill for some...) around my doors and windows and lights around the inside of the windows. (It looks soo cool!) And I put up a little 3 foot tree usually on a small end table in the corner of the living room. Then I just put various brick a brack on tables, the tv, bf's computer desk (he just loves that) Oh, and vinyl window clings! They are cheap and look cute in the corners of mirrors, on the oven and microwave oven little windows, on the windows, sliding glass door, any smooth flat surface really! (Xmas is my fave holiday, so I tend to go a little overboard...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006 10:26:21 AM »

I've had to celebrate the holidays in itty-bitty apartments for the last few years, so I totally know what you're talking about.

Instead of a tree, I found some pretty branches that had been sprayed white and touched up with glitter at the local florist, and some fake branches with red berries at Lewiscraft.  I put them in a tall skinny vase, which I then set on a tray in the middle of my table and surround with some pine cones.  It's still kinda festive and takes up much less room... plus since it doesn't scream Xmas, people won't tease you if you're lazy like me and leave it there for the rest of the winter. Smiley

I got some cute little ornaments at the dollar store (fake apples covered in silver sparkles and plain golden balls), which I hang in the front window with some shimmery ribbons.  Just secure well with thumbtacks into the window-frame and make sure your ornaments aren't too heavy since the thumbtacks may not hold up well otherwise.

I string all my Xmas cards on a line of fishing wire that runs up the stairs (I live on the 2nd floor of a duplex), since I don't have a mantel to display them.  I've also done this along the hallway in years where I didn't have stairs.  I guess it helps to work in corporate customer service, since I get cards galore each year.

I'm also toying with the idea of hanging a few more ornaments from the ceiling since this year I've got gorgeous high ceilings, but I'm waiting for later for that... no point in going all out so soon. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
November 20, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...