A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
159 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: butler's rack, re-imagined & girlie(r)  (Read 7341 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2004 01:29:27 AM »

I'd been wanting one of these things forever, though I'm sure it goes by different, and more explanatory, names than "butler's rack":

That (above) is what it looked like after one coat of high gloss, blood red latex paint. Originally it was a wood-stain finish, that was nicked, chipped and dinged here and there.
Long story short: bought it for boyfriend at yard sale (score), cat peed on it, cat knocked it over, etc.; cleaned it up, started thinking about how it could be more appealing...

...and that (above) is how it turned out, after a coat of crackle-glaze, followed by a perriwinkle latex top coat and a few embellishments. She (the rack - hey, check out my rack!) started speaking to me... she wanted a belly-chain, with a few French coins, a loose pawn from a chess set and a plastic poodle on it; she also wanted a boa, though I could only provide a partial one. (Used most of it in a previous project.) Some itty-bitty bows (that's what the package says), a couple of fake flowers (corsage...?), a necklace, etc.

Above is a closeup of the top; I painted a little fairy gold and glued her on the top rack (meant for wallet, keys, loose change, if you're a guy, or a butler for a guy) and painted a little wooden book charm with the words "little secrets", and, well, that's all I did. Just thought I'd share; hope you like it, and thanks for your time.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004 09:29:04 AM »

that's awesome! great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004 12:34:32 PM »

cute! what is that weird teeth-y thing at the top for? I have never heard of this product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluegum

Deranged Speed Knitting

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004 04:06:23 PM »

me either, what do you use if for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if i could be anything i'd be your tear/because i was born in your eye/lived in you cheek/and died on your lip
SilverBamboo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004 04:06:41 AM »

cute! what is that weird teeth-y thing at the top for? I have never heard of this product.

I'm not sure what the teeth are for (I was hoping someone else would know), but I guess it would create a grip to hang something on.
As for the general use, it's for laying out a man's suit prior to wearing... so I tried to doll it up for a female slant of laying out an outfit in advance, though it wouldn't work for longer dresses - it's under 4 ft. tall. Think of it as a 2-d wood mannequin that can also hold your keys, pocket change, etc.
Thanks so much for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004 07:16:23 AM »

hmmm, maybe the teeth are so you can put a tie on there and it won't slide off?  Seems pretty wide for that though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004 07:25:25 AM »

I looked this up and it's called a Valet Stand (for anyone who would want one of their own). I noticed that there were a bunch of different styles listed as I tried to find out what the teeth were for.
I didn't find a chart or anything handy like that, but I think I may have stumbled upon what the teeth are for...
...Some of the Valet Stands list the following:
a place to hold coins and jewelry (as yours does)
a place to hang their suit jacket (also like yours)
a bar to hang the suit pants from (which yours seems to have)
a place for your shoes (I can only assume that's why you have the two bars at the very bottom of the base)
and a place to hang your ties and belts. Perhaps that is what the teeth are for? The teeth being there so that neckties and belts don't go slipping to the floor?

Sorry, that's the best I could do.
Steph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
SilverBamboo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004 01:30:09 AM »

Conley, thanks for the info. I knew there was another name for it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft-matic
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004 06:49:23 AM »

Silverbamboo, that's beautiful!  What a great idea for a coat rack, too.  I think the valet stands are as much for coming home as for preparing to leave...you know, come in the door, hang the jacket so it won't wrinkle, put the watch and money clip on the tray, and relax.  Which makes me think it would be excellent to have a girly one near the door.  The tie hanger would be perfect for purses. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Ithinktomuch
Slightly Insane

Yarn is my drug of choice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004 11:57:40 AM »

my dad has one of those! Hmmm... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's be free to be you and me, free to crochet and knit, free to twirl hooks and click needles" -Debbie Stoller
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...