A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
351 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Those folded paper figures/objects that people made in the 60's...  (Read 1676 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2006 04:49:29 PM »

OK, could that be more obscure?  I'm posting this here rather than in the paper threads because I hope more people will see it and hopefully someone will remember what I'm talking about/know how to make them.

When I was a kid, people (OK, women) used to take old magazines and/or newspapers and fold them somehow, then put them together into a 3-D figure - the ones I remember were usually Santa & Mrs. Claus, or Xmas trees, maybe even angels.  The pages were packed together very tightly and fanned out from a central core so the outside edges became the surface of the figure.  They were often spray-painted to get a uniform color.  I think people also made/make things like vases or bowls using the same technique, but I have less recollection of those.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?  I've done various searches on the I'net but I'm coming up blank.  I'd like to find instructions how to do this.  Help! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
rikoshay
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006 05:33:01 PM »

We made those in grade school!  Witches!  And that was mid-to-late 70s!

Unfortunately, I can't tell you much more than that.  But I do remember them.  I will ask my sister if she remembers how to make them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rikoshay
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006 05:46:10 PM »

OK. I DID remember that we made them out of Reader's Digest Magazines, so I plugged "craft using Reader's Digest Magazine" into google and got a few hits that might help you out:

http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=19258

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/makingangels/a/blrdangel.htm

Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006 04:35:08 AM »

Awesome.  That's a good start!  I called my mom right after I posted this last night and she said she thought they were made from Reader's Digests - The ones I remember must have been made from multiple magazines, because they were so tight you almost couldn't move the pages from side to side.

Here's a version of the original idea and more like what I'm thinking about for now:  http://www.hipandzen.com/blmpv.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006 09:09:43 PM »

You can make them out of catalogs and phone books too. The thicker the book, the tighter it looks when you fold it back on itself. I have directions someplace. Basically, you just fold the bottom corner of the page in to the spine, fold the top corner of the page into the spine and then fold the page into the spine. One page at a time and repeat for the entire book. When you are done secure the two covers together to make it round. Or you can expeiment with your own folds. If you want the pages tighter, add another book. I hope that makes sense, I will look for the instructions.  8)d

Btw, to make the vase, curve covers around a bottle loose enough so it can be removed. If not, water splashes will ruin the paper over time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
sherm.oberson
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006 04:19:41 PM »

Hello,

My grandmother had an angel made out of tv guides on her tv every christmas for years. It was very similar to the christmas tree posted in one of the replies but imagine a scarey little doll head and arms coming out of it. She had a pipe cleaner halo and gold paper doily wings. The funny thing was that my grandmother hated the angel but had gotten as a gift from a very good friend, who lived nearby and dropped over constantly. Every year she'd unpack and bitch about how tacky it was. Me I loved the thing, I love tacky and kitschy things, always did. That's probably why Grandma has issues when she visits me, my house is full of kitsch.

Sherm
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007 01:26:13 PM by retroeva » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Mad
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006 01:30:35 PM »

Heee.

I just got my copy of Leah's book this morning, and this is a project in it, called "Folded magazine Valentine girl". It's on page 166.

You can buy it from amazon, or probably ask at the local library to order it for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...