A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
133 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: RecycleMicol's Chocolate Truffles  (Read 4368 times)
Tags for this thread: truffle , chocolate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2006 10:31:34 AM »

Someone requested the recipe for these.  Here they are pictured in the Baby Shower Planning thread: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=108119.0

This gets wordy...I will have to take pictures next time I do this...it really isn't complicated, I promise!

Unfortunately, for the ganache filling, I don't use a set recipe...I just adjust it to taste...like my Great-Grandmother used to do.  It it comes out too thin after it's cool, I add a little powdered sugar.  DO NOT thin with water if it's too thick!  Use a little cream or corn syrup.  It is supposed to be really pretty solid, though, so keep that in mind.

I like to flavor my filling with almond flavoring, rum flavoring, coffee flavoring made from freeze-dried crystals and a little water, or just vanilla.  (You can use liquers, but be wary of the amount...youngsters don't need it!)  I haven't tried mint flavoring yet, but would like to!  My 'nut of choice' is Pecan, although almonds are nice, too!

But, here are some recipes that would come the closest.  You can follow it to the 'T', or use my dipping method to get the results I do.  (you may have to look around on the pages to find the actual ganache recipes)

http://www.baking911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm
http://www.baking911.com/recipes/chocolate/ganache.htm
http://www.baking911.com/recipes/chocolate/truffles_silverpalate.htm

Okay...once you get the filling made, you can either do the shaping at that point or keep it in the fridge for a few days or the freezer for a month or two.  Bring to room temperature before you try working with it.  It also helps to have a cool room to do this next step in.

I have a lovely 1/2 Tablespoon measuring spoon that is a perfect half-sphere shape on the inside. (Tupperware, I believe)  I scoop the filling into it and scrape off any excess with a sharp, flat-edged, non serrated knife.  I smack the measuring spoon on the bowl I have the filling in and catch the little half-sphere of filling in my hand.  Put it on waxed or parchment paper.  Do as many as you want...freeze or refrigerate any left overs.

Then get some of those candy coating melts from Wilton in the cake decorating section of any craft store...some grocery stores or even wal-mart.  One to two bags of dark chocolate and one bag of white chocolate.  That is, unless you want to go through all the trouble of tempering real couverture and keeping it at temperature throughout dipping!  (if you use a good quality filling chocolate, it make up for the coating!)

Melt the chocolate coating in the microwave using the instructions on the back.  If I'm only doing a small batch, I'll just use half of a bag...you can always add more chips and melt in again.  Don't burn it, though!

I put the slightly-cool (not cold) 'filling half-spheres' one at a time into the melted coating...using a dinner fork (I don't have a candy dipping fork) I lift it out of the coating, tap the bottom of the fork straight down on the side of the bowl to get excess coating to drain down between the tines and then scrape the fork across the top of the bowl.  Use a skewer or small paring knife to slide the truffle off of the fork onto waxed or parchment paper into nice even vertical rows with at least two inches between each row.  This will make the next step easier.

Melt a few of the white chololate candy coating 'buttons' in a plastic zip-top sandwich bag in the microwave.  This does not take long...so don't burn it!!!  Add any food color you like.  I use the Wilton paste colors.  For pastels, it only takes a TAD!  Better to start light and add more if you want it darker.  Squish the color and white candy coating around until well blended.  Cut a small cut off of the corner of the bag...test this on the paper first...it it's too small, it will get all squigly when it comes out.  If it's too large for your liking, just cut the other corner and squeeze all the candy coating to that side to use that corner instead.

Now in a side to side motion, start with the first vertical row, at the truffle farthest away from you and zig-zag your way down the row whle pulling the bag toward you.  Do the same with the rest of the vertical rows.  The space between them is so you won't run into the next row of truffles when you're zig-zagging.

Let them dry and enjoy!  If you give them time to rest, they will 'ripen' and intensify in flavor.

I've been keeping mine on the counter in a plastic container and we've eaten them within three or four days.  We've never gotten sick. If you are concerned about the dairy in it, I would keep it in the fridge in a tightly sealed plastic container, but keep them covered as you let them warm up before serving.  They'll stay good for several hours at room temperature, I know!

Sorry so lengthy!  I just want everyone to know how do do them...even someone not familiar with candy making!

Later,
RecycleMicol

Edited by vanillaxlight to add RecycleMicol's picture of her lovely truffles. I say it's okay to double post this pic in this instance. Wink
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006 08:36:14 PM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006 11:04:05 AM »

Sounds very yummy.  Do you want to post a pic on this page too?  We would love to drool over them a bit more!

I like making truffles too...but I do mine with 12 oz. melted chocolate chips (Ghiradelli, yummmm) on the stove over a double boiler, adding 1/3c. heavy cream to soften it.  I make mine round too (don't know why), (maybe just cause hand forming is easier for me) and sometimes roll them in crushed nuts or sprinkle cocoa over the top!  I also like to use white chocolate shavings...add crushed peppermints for the mint ones!  (coconut works too, as does orange zest...with orange filling, yum!)
That would be if you want them to look more chocolatey/less pretty...or if you make several variations and want to be able to distinguish the different flavors.  You can also 'stab' an almond into the top to show the nutty ones!

Just a few more variations.  Seriously, I am hungry now.

Yours look so cute in the candy cups too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleMicol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006 11:17:39 AM »

Hey, I laid down but got up to eat my burrito I had cooking in the toaster oven.  Why did I do that???  It is all hard and crusty!  Not soft like in the micro, or flakey like fried!

Oh well...they're the cheapos.  I'll just make another one in the micro so I can eat it!

Anyway...I didn't want to put a pic up on the post because the 'rules' say not to post pics of the same thing on multiple boards!   Smiley  So I just added the link.  Besides, the mint recipe link is there, too and if anyone wants to know how to make the mints, they can find the recipe there.

That's how I make my ganache...with the Ghiradelli chips and heavy cream.  I just didn't remember how much heavy cream I used per bag o' chips, so I didn't post it!  I've made the balls rolled in different coatings before, but I wanted a more polished look and came up with the half-sphere dipped thing on my own.

Thanks for the compliment on them!  I really enjoy making them...but I'm glad I only do it for special occasions, of course.  It gets old if you do too many!

Well, off to zap a burrito!

Later Skater,
Micol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

View My Craft Blog

RecycleMicol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006 02:16:45 PM »

Doh!  I feel dumb!  I had been pming OriginalYouth and thought I was pming her again!  Ha!  I'm sure you all don't care about my lunch burrito fiasco!  HA!  That's too funny!

Thanks for setting me straight on where my 'pm' went, girl!

Later!
RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

View My Craft Blog

ffancypantss
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006 08:59:34 AM »

oh my, those look so delicious and professional. i have to wonder though, what are the blue peanut-butter-cookie looking things above the truffles?

*edit* after reading your post in the baby shower thread, i found out they're mints. YUM!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let there be songs to fill the air...

www.limabeads.etsy.com
RecycleMicol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006 09:22:56 AM »

Yes...the recipe link is in that Baby Shower thread, too.  You can use little mint molds to make them more uniform, but I loved the 'homemade' look.  They really are the best mints you'll ever eat!!!  Melt in your mouth!

RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

View My Craft Blog

ffancypantss
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006 09:31:56 AM »

they look so good! i will definitely make them soon. i think they look cute the way they are. i bet it's a lot easier, too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let there be songs to fill the air...

www.limabeads.etsy.com
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006 11:54:57 PM »

Thanks for the ideas.  I have never heard of folks making mints before, I I will certainly be investigating that notion in my usual manner (making a mess of the kitchen and eating far to much of the finished product).  I do a pretty mean egg nog truffle come holiday time.  Some think it sounds odd at first, but they go down pretty well with just about everyone once they have tried 'em.  If you reall wan to try making mint ones RecycleMicol, I'd reccomend using creme de menth (sp) liquer.  You could always heat it up to remove the alchohol first, I doubt the flavour or consistency would change at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
RecycleMicol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006 08:17:15 AM »

I will be trying the Creme de Menthe this winter!  I'll let you know how it turns out.  I'll probably make them into little patties rather than the bigger truffles.  More like an after-dinner mint.  It would be more palatable that way, I think.

Thanks for the tip!

-RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

View My Craft Blog

Guin

Hey, there's a lemon behind that rock!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006 03:34:20 PM »

My cousin and I are conducting an odd experiment. See, we don't have any whipping or heavy cream. So.....ice cream has cream in it...and she had vanilla...long story short, I'm trying to make ganache with melted, heated ice cream. It's chilling now. Of course, we tasted it (quality control is very important Wink) and it was good. I'll keep you posted on its progress.

Man, if melted ice cream has a good use in ganache, just think of the possibilities!
hopefully,
guin

Update: Even after popping it in the freezer, the ganache has a syrup/spread consistency...I'm thinking I need to change the proportion of chocolate to melted ice cream. What proportion did you use, RecycleMicol, to make your amazing truffles? Like a guess-timate?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006 04:12:02 PM by Guin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...