A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
257 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How would you make straps/buckles like this.  (Read 1200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Elphelba
« on: August 16, 2006 06:23:27 PM »

[img=http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7717/frontcorsettj0.th.jpg]
I have the basic construction of this shirt down. I've made a couple of similiar projects. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding the buckles that go across the front (particularly the way they conect to the shirt.) How would I make the little pointy things? Would I cut the fabric that way and stitch it on, or is there something more complicated than that involved?

Sorry for the re-post, but I put it in the wrong board by mistake, and I'm new so I don't know how to move it back...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Elphelba
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006 09:30:34 PM »

Nobody has any Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
stacysews
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006 05:15:03 AM »

First you want to construct your garment.  Then make 8 triangles and sew them to your corset.  Then you would sew a strap to each side, on top of the triangle - one side having eyelets and the other side having the buckle attachment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006 06:06:26 AM »

First you want to construct your garment.  Then make 8 triangles and sew them to your corset.  Then you would sew a strap to each side, on top of the triangle - one side having eyelets and the other side having the buckle attachment.
Thanks. I was thinking the triangle part and the strap part (with the grommets or buckle) were going to be one piece. That makes things a lot less confusing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006 07:06:11 AM »

The triangles are really helping to stabilize the straps.  So when you pull and cinch it up it doesn't pull on the fabric (making holes, funky wrinkles on the fabric, etc).  It can also be a decorative element - so you're not confined to making the triangle shape either, just as long as it is larger than your strap size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006 08:33:01 AM »

The triangles are really helping to stabilize the straps.  So when you pull and cinch it up it doesn't pull on the fabric (making holes, funky wrinkles on the fabric, etc).  It can also be a decorative element - so you're not confined to making the triangle shape either, just as long as it is larger than your strap size.
Thank you so much. Should I reinforce the triangles with interfacing, or is it enough that I'm using a sturdy fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006 12:48:15 PM »

I think that you should be o.k. I'm guessing you're going to use a leather\pleather like material? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006 06:42:42 PM »

I think that you should be o.k. I'm guessing you're going to use a leather\pleather like material? 
I was thinking about trying something else, but after thinking it through, I'll probably go with one of those because I think it may be easier to work with. Thanks a lot for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006 07:12:34 PM »

No problem!  good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...