A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 314,293
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help my knitting not look like warts?  (Read 798 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2006 05:37:59 PM »

i'm knitting the high neck lace top from vogue, and the bodice pattern has a little polka-dot style stitch in that they call 'knot stitch'. It goes "k1, p1, k1 into 1st; turn, k3 together" after that, i would turn the work again, and knit that stitch again to continue across the row (i don't know if that was right or if i should have slipped the stitch onto the other needle). see?

anyway, they don't look nice. they look like little warts. they stick out too much and are all knobbly.
i'm definitely ripping it out, but i still like the idea of 'polka dots'. so, i was wondering if anyone knows an alternative stitch that is less knobbly.

i also tried some alternative stitches on the top row. from left to right they are: the stitch as directed;
- k1, p1, k1 into 1st; turn, k3 together; turn, slip stitch onto other needle.
- k1, p1 into 1st; turn, k2tog; turn, slip stitch
- k1, p1 into 1st; turn, k2tog; turn, slip stitch. this one is done twice, and i think it is my favourite...

what do you all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djinnj
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006 04:07:40 AM »

when you turn it back to the RS, generally the worked stitch is then slipped for this sort of thing. 

Any of your modifications are good as long as you like the way they look.  Another thing which will change their appearance is to p2tog on the WS instead of k2tog. 

and if you don't like them even reduced to a 2st knot, consider working a k/p pattern instead.  I'd suggest a tiny diamond over 3st and 3r.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006 07:32:51 PM »

argh! i jus realised i linked the wrong picture! I have a nice, painful close up of the bobbles here (if anyone cares):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/lupinbunny/IMG_0950.jpg

well, i messed about considerably. i even found a *very* unusual way of making bobbles in a 1950s knitting book i have.^

I did seriously consider using a knit/ purl pattern, but settled instead on knit into the front & back of one stitch, turn, p2tog, turn, knit stitch. it just looks a wee bit neater.

^ in case anyone's interested, this method makes a very neat bobble that pops out from the work more than normal. The instructions are for 3ply yarn (fingering weight?), i experimented with different numbers of wraps.
"Insert needle into next stitch as if to knit, wind the wool 5 times round the points of both needles, then put wool round right hand needle and draw through all 6 loops, but do not slip them off the left-hand needle. Now k through the backs of the 6 loops and slip them off the left-hand needle, then pass the last but one st on right hand needles over the last stitch and off the needle"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...