A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,644
Currently Running With Scissors:
142 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ask Jenny - Everything You've Wanted to Know (But Were Afraid to Ask)  (Read 68155 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2006 06:28:45 PM »

Sorry for breaking the rules Jenny.  (one post and already a trouble maker Cheesy)

Here's a re-post:

My question is more of a "trade" question regarding my product Q-Snap Frames.  After a few years of not being involved in the day to day functions, I'm back in the trenches and one of the things I'm working on is a marketing plan.  We haven't really done much in the way of advertising our frames.  We have been considering with going towards aiming at the retail ads, vrs trade publications.  Do you have any .02??

Hey everybody! It's Mr. Q-Snap! First of all, I'm sorry it's taken me this long to respond to this question. First I skip you, then I'm all like "Uh! Just repost it" then I take a week to reply. Not cool.

Next, I have to say I'm quite honored to be addressing Mr. Q-Snap himself! And not only that, he's seeking advice from me! Is my mother reading this?

Well, first of all, how about an endorsement? I LOVE Q-Snap Frames. In fact, one of the things I'm working on right now is on one of your company's frames. See?

(Can you tell who this is? Free pack of patterns to the first person to PM me with the right answer!)

Okay, now to answer your question. Well, how about advertising on Craftster? I think that would be a good start. Print advertising isn't quite as simple. There aren't a ton of places to advertise to the alternative craft market with a product that is as specific as yours. I advertise in magazines like Bust, ReadyMade and Venus...but that's a bit different. Their readers understand that I'm about alternative crafting, yet you have a tool that is specific to quilting and embroidery. That makes it more challenging. What about magazines like Threads, Adorn and Knit1? What about an endorsement cross-over campaign with my company (people, see how I work this)?

Go ahead and pm me with your thoughts. I'm happy to chat one-on-one with you about your marketing questions. I can't promise I have the answers, but I can tell you how I do it!

Thanks everyone for your patience with posting questions! Things are a bit hectic right now.

REMEMBER! Please post questions one at a time and allow me to answer a question before posting yours. This is to avoid a pileup, and maintain my sanity. Stacked questions will be skipped, but you can repost them at the next chance. Also, if you've already posted, please sit out a turn so another poster can jump in (but you can post numerous times). Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006 06:30:43 PM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
Beetastic
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2006 02:13:25 PM »

Jenny First off.  Love your new book. 

Now my question did you embroider all the items in the book?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2006 03:57:06 PM »

Thanks! I'm really glad people are enjoying the new book. Yes, I did in fact embroider up each and every project shown in the book. And, if you're in Austin this weekend, I'm going to be at the Austin Area Quilt Guild Show this Saturday, Sept 30 from 1-3pm appearing in Ginger's Needlearts Booth. I'll be signing copies of the new book and will have all the projects I stitched up for it with me if you want to see them up close and personal.   Grin

Mintlatte is the winner of the free pack of patterns for correctly guessing that the embroidered-portrait-in-progress above is of Loretta Lynn. Hey Mint, PM me with your mailing address and pattern choice! And thanks to everyone else who pm'd me too.

REMEMBER! Please post questions one at a time and allow me to answer a question before posting yours. This is to avoid a pileup, and maintain my sanity. Stacked questions will be skipped, but you can repost them at the next chance. Also, if you've already posted, please sit out a turn so another poster can jump in (but you can post numerous times). Thank you!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006 03:59:56 PM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

white trash hero
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2006 04:23:01 PM »

Hi Jenny, I saw you in a craft magazine at college during a lecture and shouted out," OH LOOK ITS JENNY HART!!!", very embarrarising! But hopefully I'll be getting a few of your patterns for mates for christmas!

My question is about embroidering t-shirts. I know with machine embroidery to keep my tension quite loose etc... but i want to make a design on the bust area? So what stitches can i use and now use, and should i maybe just not do a t-shirt(on the bust anyway) and stick to a good old fashioned blouse? Im fed up with plain stencilling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2006 01:11:13 PM »

There are outbursts by people shouting my name at lectures? How embarrassing, indeed!  Cheesy I think you're talking about the interview that just came out in the premiere issue of Craft: (check it out- it's a nice issue and I have an article in it on How to Embroider Your Skateboard).

Okay, so...it's not really a matter of which stitches you should/shouldn't use to prevent tension/puckering issues, it's that you really, really want to get yourself some Sulky-brand iron-on, tear-away stabilizer. I know that's a mouthful, but ask for it specifically. Damn, I need to just start selling the stuff. Yes?

When you iron it on to the back of your t-shirt fabric, which is soft 'n spongey, it will give you a stiffer, firm ground to stitch through. Then, once you're done stitching you just tear it away from the backing. I think there's a thread dedicated specifically to questions about stitching on t-shirt fabric. Those posters seem to really know their stuff about it! I'll see if I can find the link.

Did I answer your question? PM me if I didn't. Next!

- - - - - -

REMEMBER!
Please post questions one at a time and allow me to answer a question before posting yours. This is to avoid a pileup, and maintain my sanity. Stacked questions will be skipped, but you can repost them at the next chance. Also, if you've already posted, please sit out a turn so another poster can jump in (but you can post numerous times). Thank you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

plath
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2006 01:35:49 PM »

Yes, you should start selling it!  I specifically looked to see if you sold it last week, and would have bought a ton more patterns to go along with it if you did.  Instead I had to drive hecka far away to my "local" Joann's to pick some up Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mintlatte
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2006 02:39:53 PM »

OK, I know this is a stack, but the last one wasn't really a question....so I am going to take some liberties...

What are the basic steps you go through to translate picture to embroidery...
 i.e. do you redraw what you want into a linework more suitable for embroidery, or is there a short cut for those of us who are artistically challenged?  I have been thinking photoshop might help.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2006 10:39:50 AM »

Let me hold off on this one if I may...I am working out a way to show how I create my portraits in embroidery, so can you bear with me and hang on for a better explanation than I can post here? We'll save it for when I can really do it right- not like it's a secret recipe or anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

rectangel
a right angle gone wrong

'once a square always a square'

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2006 11:28:20 AM »

Hi Jenny!

Thanks for all the cool patterns!  I was wondering what you do to keep growing your stitching skills?  At first the improvement seems exponential but how do you improve at stitches you have practiced and are still not at the level you've see they could be at?  Hope that makes sense...techniques for stitching are readily available but tips for improving your existing techniques seem more tricky to come by.

Thanks,

'angel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Going to Viva this year April 1-4!
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2006 07:03:21 PM »

Huh. Interesting question. I'm not really sure I have the answer. There's not anything I do specifically to improve my skills. Hm. Do I need to develop a stitch training and exercise camp to keep your stitches in shape? I think, like anything, it's a matter of practice. Or, are you saying some of your stitches maintain a certain quality that you'd like to improve and don't know how?

I think, really, the best way to improve your skills is to have someone who knows how to embroider really well show you in person. They might have a different take on how to approach a stitch. I like to stress that I am not an expert in embroidery. Really. I am passionate about it, I love learning new techniques, and I wanted to teach it in a new, inspired way to revive the interest. But no expert am I. I often pick up tips and tricks from my own students.  Grin

For me, my stitches tend to look the most uniform and neat when I'm in the 'zone'. Not really thinking about it, just calmly doing it, almost automatically.
It's true that some stitches become better the more you do them- they feel clumsy at first, and become easier until you can just do them automatically.

Now, I have hardly mastered all the embroidery stitches there are out there. There are many, many stitches I still don't know how to do. Some that are considered basic, 'must-know' stitches. But, it's always nice to know there are more to learn. My immediate repertoire of stitches is:

split, back, stem, chain, detached chain, open knot, feather, french knot, cross, hidden/running, satin, scalloping chain, twinkle stitch and bamboo. I've probably forgotten a few, and these last three I just made up while I was working. Tongue Wow, that kind of felt like baring my soul! But you can use these stitches to enormous effect in combination. What I really like to do is innovate with the stitches, use them in ways I've never seen or create a new stitch altogether. I'm sure there's nothing new under the sun, the ones I've 'invented' are simply ones I can't find in any reference books or have never seen before.

Did that answer your question? I think I just kinda rambled there at the last bit....

- - - - - - -

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006 07:05:30 PM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...