A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 314,822
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap silk screening, first attempt, gone wrong. Poor Oscar Wilde.  (Read 3726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

myclouds
« on: August 03, 2006 12:17:53 PM »

Wow. I was so pumped to try the cheap screen printing http://community.livejournal.com/craftgrrl/3674467.html, because I'm on a budget. But it just went wrong. These photos are AFTER I touched the paint up by hand. Excuse the quality, they were taken on my phone. I was going to put words on the shirt also. Maybe I will just try it again...touch up the creen, I dunno. There was no enough paint in some areas when I lifted the screen. Any tips?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006 12:19:30 PM by myclouds » THIS ROCKS   Logged
myclouds
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006 12:23:27 PM »

Well these pictures don't look as bad as it turned out  Huh They make it look better... but its not Sad wahhhh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kidcompassion

get down off your high horse and buy me a taco.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006 12:25:26 PM »

how exactly did you do the screen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myclouds
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006 01:44:12 PM »

how exactly did you do the screen?

I used some fabric, don't remember what its called, it frays easily and is like a very fine tulle. I traced the picture on it, then put Mod Podge on the parts where I didn't want the paint to go though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mackymoo
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006 04:15:47 PM »

You have to really make sure the paint gets through the screen. Go over it a couple times. One of the shirts I made came out a little splotchy but I was able to touch it up with a paintbrush and now it looks okay. Sorry this probably wasn't that helpful. But after doing a couple, I could tell when the paint actually went through the screen onto the shirt, and when it didn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mangomango
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006 10:24:02 AM »

is it tedious to put to mod podge over the parts that you didn't want the paint to go through?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leentje
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006 09:55:04 AM »

yay I did my first couple of screens today too!
I think you do need a squigy, or anything else that can push your paint down through the screen and onto and into your shirt, because just painting with a brush on my screen didnt make my paint really transfer. I would try any rubbery pan-scraper orso?

I should post a pic of my screen now I know, but havent made any pics! x L
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thatmusicjunkie
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006 02:43:31 PM »

yay I did my first couple of screens today too!
I think you do need a squigy, or anything else that can push your paint down through the screen and onto and into your shirt, because just painting with a brush on my screen didnt make my paint really transfer. I would try any rubbery pan-scraper orso?

I should post a pic of my screen now I know, but havent made any pics! x L

A cheap way to make a squeegy is to fold a long rectangle piece of cardboard in half [making a thinker rectangle] and tape off the bottom of it. It actually becomes a disposable squeegy, but can be used for several items at a time.

yay for my first crafter post!
I've been a lurker for years, but never had much to say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Danish Heart Basket
O, Christmas Tree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...