A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
320 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sew U: Built by Wendy's Book - Book Review  (Read 24020 times)
Tags for this thread: sew_u , book_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
stacysews
« on: August 03, 2006 06:17:35 AM »

Well, I got my review copy from the publisher, have read it and have posted a review on my site (right now it's the 2nd entry down or just click on the book review section of the tool bar).  

http://www.stacysews.com/projects/book_reviews/20080523_sew_u_home_stretch_the_review_giveaway.shtml

I would post the whole review here, but what I wrote is EXTREMELY long (I liked it a lot) so for those of you who don't want to go off site to read, here's a (very) condensed version:
The first 5 chapters of this book are devoted to 'the basics'. Typically, these are the sections of the book that advanced sewers might skip over, but I really found her tips and suggestions very helpful.

Sew U comes with 3 (simplicity) multi-sized, paper patterns. These are a simple A line skirt, button-down shirt, and modern, bootcut pants. The last chapters of the book discuss not only how to sew the pattern, but how to customize, alter, embellish these same 3 patterns into something completely different each time you make it. For example, the shirt could be a regular button down, a western shirt, a tunic or ruffled blouse.

There are lots of tips and tricks included in this book as well - from thrifty notions to how to make your bottom look bigger or smaller (depending on what you need) just by pocket placement!

This is really a fantastic book and should definitely be on sewing bookshelves! It's a great reference tool, provides lots of inspiration, and will hopefully reduce my pattern stash - because I can't wait to alter her basics!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009 12:09:43 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetpadee

I'll diffuse you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006 01:45:32 PM »

Ooooh I am so looking forward to the release of this book! I have all pre-1975 sewing books/manuals, which do come in handy but sometimes are a bit disappointing in some cases. Thanks Stacy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kikaszgrrl
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006 03:58:29 PM »

I didn't realize this book wasn't released yet and went to the bookstore trying to buy it. I need it now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Necia
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006 01:07:44 PM »

Barnes & Noble's has this book now!  I want my copy now, but have to wait 3 days for them to get it at my location.

HTH
Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetpadee

I'll diffuse you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006 02:12:21 PM »

How interesting... On Wendy's website and on Amazon it says it is to be released in September. Well lucky you Necia, let us know what you think when you get it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
namaste
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006 01:41:57 PM »

I went to my BN today and it was there! It is awesome... gives lots of details on everything from fabric types to using a machine to cutting out and sewing a pattern. My favorite part is her advice on how to customize patterns. Included with the book are patterns for a skirt, top, and pants, with lots of ideas for making your project unique. If you are a sewer or want to be, I totally recommend this book!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nyssa1231
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006 07:19:05 AM »

I just ran out and picked up my copy at Barnes & Noble. I can't WAIT to devour it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetpadee

I'll diffuse you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006 11:06:59 AM »

Well geeze. I guess, I will be going to B&N, I went to Borders and they didn't have it.  Undecided Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manika
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006 11:14:41 AM »

great blog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Necia
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006 09:06:18 AM »

So far I'm loving this book.  It's very informative and inspiriing for a new sewer like myself.  I'm actually going to buy some card stock, and pinking shears today during my lunch, so I can make my fabric cards.  I'm a little disappointed that the patterns included are sized only from s-xl.  Not to mention the XL is no where near my rtw xl.  Just my 2c though.

Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...