A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
140 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: QUILTING ADVICE  (Read 4904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
geekburger

I'm a Beastie!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2004 02:56:50 PM »

okay id really like to start quilting again, because my mom quilted w/ me when i was little. I have no idea how to start.... at all!!! please help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004 04:21:42 PM »

i would either go get some books at the library, or buy some if you like...read up on it, and decide on a style...(I really like the friendship starts block because its easy, OR you could start with a strip quilt which is even easier) and go get your fabric, batting, and quilt binding. You might even start out with a local quilters class. Hancock fabrics offers a class that teaches 12 different blocks throughout the year, one for each month and at the end of the year you put it all together. Its really inexpensive to join something like that and it allows for a slow pacer like me LOL
I hope everything goes well and that you will post pics when you get going Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004 09:07:32 PM »

good luck getting started! It is so rewarding. Just get in there and do it Wink

There;s a great thread in the other forum here in quilting. It's posted at the top, ya can't miss it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
ilovepaper
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004 03:30:35 AM »

Check your fabric store, some of those women have a lot of information. I just asked a clerk at Joann's and she told me that she teaches a class for beginners through an adult education program. They may have some info in your local store.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tripleabatterie
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004 08:45:11 PM »

and by "beyond" i mean.... never quilted in my life....

however, i wish to do so very muchly, and do not know anyone that does... hence, i turn here! i was wondering if anyone knows of a really good website that has eons of stuff about quilting.....

or someone that wants me to be emailing them saying "i don't get it (and then explaining)" alot.... haha.

my inspiration is wanting a unique quilt because i'm redoing my room... and i like sewing and such... so yeah.... tips? websites? anything would be a major help... thank yer!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be serious.....

but what's the fun in that?
Pippasma
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004 04:14:06 PM »

Hi,

I have this (quite possibly) riduculous dream to make quilt for my mom out of all of my sisters and my old baby dresses, that she gave me for my daughter.  The thing is ... I really do not even know how to sew.  I have a sewing machine that my mom gave me but I dont even know how to use it. 

How can I learn to sew, and then eventually quilt??  Can anyone recommend books, websites ect. to get me started - thanks!!!

Stephanie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know we're in trouble when our bombs are smarter than our president.

Re-defeat Bush 2004
ilovepaper
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004 07:10:18 PM »

I haven't attempted a quilt yet but this is the advice i received from an expert:
 She told me to get friendly with my sewing machine with other projects and then take a quilting class. I signed up for a raggedy-tattered quilt class for $29.00 for 6 weeks at a local high school that has evening adult education classes. She suggested this class because it teaches all the fundamentals to quilting but this style is quite forgiving to a beginner.
I am so excited and can't wait for October.
Your project sounds great, good luck with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004 10:51:56 PM »

I make baby quilts from baby clothes also. Its really fun and can be as easy as you want it to be.  You can very simply cut squares from the fabrics and sew them together in rows and then sew the rows together, or you could make other types of squares or even do a strip quilt. I do suggest taking even a basic sewing class, just to familiarize yourself with the whole deal...and a beginner quilting class can't hurt ya. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
BabkaGal
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004 08:22:19 AM »

Hi!

Welcome to the world of quilting!  I am a fairly new quilter myself, and my first project was one that I recommend to any new quilter!

I used the "Quilt in a Day" series of books, and the pattern I used was the "Trip Around The World" quilt.  The author has a website, but I acutally bought the book off of ebay.  I love her books, since they tell you exactly how much fabric to use for any size of quilt you want, gives you very specific step by step instructions and generally makes the process REALLY easy.

The "trip around the world" pattern is easy and looks impressive (especially to non-quilters).  I used colors that progressed from dark blue to light blue to yellow.  I did a twin-sized quilt, and it took me about a week (I did it at least 4 hours a day).

As for general quilting supplies, you will need a rotary cutter, cutting mat, large clear quilting ruler, and magnetic seam allowance guide (a HUGE help!), and other general sewing supplies (thread, iron, fabric shears, sewing machine, new needle).  It is a bit of an investment, but well worth it.

Hope this helps, and good luck with quilting! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004 09:24:11 AM »

Also a newbie quilter...

definitely, definitely, definitely get a rotary cutter, a cutting mat, and one of those clear squares with the markings that I can't recall the name of at this point. They'll save you so much time in cutting and measuring, and it's easier to get uniform pieces. I didn't have one for my first quilt, and I'm wishing I had bought one in the beginning.

There's tons of good books out there, I'd find a quilting shop and ask them for recommendations. Also, I'd find a quilting guild who can help you in person - sometimes the internet just isn't good enough. Plus, they'll inspire you with their gorgeous quilts. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boleyn

Queen Anne Lackhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004 10:00:54 AM »

I live right up the street from the Quilt in a Day store, where they film the show! Anyway, I do recommend the Quilt in a Day Books, they're great for beginners. Definitely invest in a rotary cutter, a good ruler, and a mat; it makes cutting so much easier. Another good book is "The Quilter's Ultimate Visual Guide," which is kind of a quilters dictionary. It covers everything you would want to know. Also, for your first quilt, don't get too complicated unless you are an experienced sewer. When I start a new craft, I tend to get a little too gung-ho about it and end up driving myself nuts. You might want to try making a sampler quilt (lots of different blocks) as your first project ; that way you can try a lot of different techniques. Hope this helped and good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elysium
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004 11:32:46 AM »

I'm a fairly new quilter myself. The one piece of advice I have is don't get too ambitious with your pattern. I was the same in the beginning in that I was tempted by all these really fancy patterns b/c I didn't want my quilt to be boring. Then I discovered a secret. You can let the fabric do the work for you. Find yourself some patterns that you really love. Fabrics you wouldn't normally see in a quilt. Like something from repro depot. These fabrics look better in a simple pattern b/c it lets you see the images (it's not too busy). That way you can start with a simple pattern but still end up with a funkalicious quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrapperjen1
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004 02:07:18 PM »

Yes, fabric stores are a great place to start!  Also, if you do a web search you can come up with some great sites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004 05:38:58 PM »

log cabin squares are an easy way to start, especially if you do the strip-piecing method.  it goes really quickly & isn't too fussy.

*e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
tripleabatterie
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004 09:16:09 PM »

thank you much!

one of my friends' mothers quilts, and has offered to teach me.... i am super happy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be serious.....

but what's the fun in that?
cmoore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004 11:03:33 PM »

Hey, good luck with learning!
I agree with the others start with a simple pattern and let the fabric do the work. One of the books I found helpful when starting was the quilting bible put out by singer-for when your friends mom is not around, or if you want to try something at 2 in the morning.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamarack

the mad crafter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004 05:12:47 AM »

The one piece of advice I have is don't get too ambitious with your pattern. I was the same in the beginning in that I was tempted by all these really fancy patterns b/c I didn't want my quilt to be boring. Then I discovered a secret. You can let the fabric do the work for you.

Pick up a book at your local library (or bookshop) about textile manipulations. There's lots of really simple (and not-so-simple) things you can to spruce up less-than-top-qual fabrics.

Economically, I'm usually relegated to the ranks of second-hand fabrics only. It can be great fun, but sometimes really frustrating to find complementarile designed fabrics Tongue

I have a book called "exploring textile arts" that has a lot of suggestions.

Best of luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be quilting!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Indian-Inspired Savory English Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dryer Sheets
August 14, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...