A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 319,831
Currently Running With Scissors:
169 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question!!  (Read 643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
the mod stitch
« on: July 26, 2006 05:00:34 PM »

ok, yes im a newbie..  this is my very 1st post.

i dont know exactly what its called but how do you put letters on a card that are raised?
like a notary seal does but with letters...
anyone know?

thank you so very much in advance!
Offline Offline

Posts: 1004
Joined: 27-Feb-2005

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006 08:11:53 PM »

It may be 'embossing' or may not be. I would suggest posting your question in the paper crafts board. d Cool

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?


Personal swap anyone?
Offline Offline

Posts: 129
Joined: 18-Nov-2003

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006 07:17:43 AM »

"Embossing" is the right word - there's a number of different ways I've seen it done, sometimes with a brass stencil -- you flip the paper over, lay your stencil down and trace the outline with a ball-end stylus.  There are also embossing "systems" you can get with a clear plastic stencil so you can see your piece underneath it - there's also a thing called a "Click-It" that you press down on (almost like a self-inking stamp) that impresses your lettering onto the paper/cardstock.

Unfortunately it's not something I do, and I have *no* idea how you line up the letters to get them in the right spot from the back.  Hope someone else here can give you ideas!  (You might also go to one of the on-line scrapbooking forums - they're CRAZY BUSY 'cause scrapbooking is so big right now, and there are a lot of people who use embossing in their scrapbooks.  You might get more input there.)

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
Offline Offline

Posts: 34
Joined: 30-Jul-2006

I've got rattitude.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006 04:54:11 PM »

Sounds like you're talking about embossing.

The only way I know of to emboss is with a rubber stamp, embossing powder and a heat gun.  And I dont really "know" how to do it, I just recently read about it in a rubber stamping book.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Crochet Knotted Head Wrap
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.