A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
157 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Accepting Credit Cards at Craft Fairs  (Read 37015 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005 04:45:27 AM »

This is late, but if you did a board search for "credit cards", all the info you need would pop up in former discussions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GinaMichele
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005 01:41:04 PM »

You should sign up for Propay (www.propay.com) For $60 a year you can process credit cards at the show over your cell phone. You should also buy a manual credit card imprinter which will cost about $25 (unless you get it cheaper on ebay)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My clothing line at http://www.ginamichele.com
My Vintage clothing boutique- http://www.kittycomplex.com
glamarama
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006 09:32:59 PM »

I use PayPal on my site but thats it - no merchant account and I dont plan on getting one because I dont do that much business. But I would really like to be able to accept credit cards at Bizarre Bazaar SF in April. Has anyone found a way to do this? is there some kind of one-time merchant account you can set up and use? Any suggestions?

jenna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006 11:25:51 AM »

If you have acess to wireless internet and a laptop, you can do it right there!

Also (if it's a multiple day fair) each night after sales, input into the shopping cart all the CC payments.

just my 0.02
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
glamarama
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006 07:47:52 AM »

Does PayPal let you enter in third-party credit cards? I didnt know that! That would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetpeahandcrafts
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006 05:49:55 AM »

I have  a merchant account through the Discover Network, and taking credit cards at craft fairs has boosted my sales tremendously.  It also boosted them on my site, as people don't always want to use paypal.  I process them right there, over the phone, using my cell, so I never wind up coming home to find out one has been declined.  It's not terribly expensive, either, each transaction costs just a little more than paypal transactions do.  But it's been totally worth it.

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purses, Retro Aprons and Other Accessories!
www.sweetpeahandcrafts.com
ITZA
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006 07:02:21 AM »

I use my cell phone and call them in.

This is the company I signed up with:

http://www.thompsonmerchant.com/

They are really inexpensive, fast, dependable and i have had No problems with them.  I have referred several other crafters & friends to them and everyone has been Very happy with the service.

I looked & looked and this was the cheapest I could find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006 08:04:17 AM »

You can sign up for Paypal's virtual terminal, to accept credit cards from users without paypal accounts. As long as you have a laptop and wireless internet, you can take cc info and process it right away. Normal cc fees through paypal are deducted & there is a $10 charge per month to have the virtual terminal. I work for a company that runs conventions and we used the virtual terminal to take cc last year and it worked out great. You can get more info here.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_vt_hub-outside
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alison
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006 10:34:51 AM »

i'm pretty sure there won't be wireless internet available at the bazaar bizarre.  there is an ATM on the fairgrounds though!

i use propay.  the fees are very comparable to paypal, but you do have to pay a yearly fee based on which cards you want to take and how much in sales you do.  it was very quick & easy to set up (i did it all in 4 days because i decided last minute before a big show).  i also bought one of the things to make an imprint of the credit card, just as security for myself.  you can process the cards through a cell phone or over the internet.  at the 2 shows i have used it on, the sales i would have lost to not taking credit cards have payed for all of my expenses. on large sales, i processed the card while the person was there.  on smaller ones i just made a pile and called them in when it got slow. i have had no problems, although I was glad i tested it out at home before because you do need to get some info from the buyer like their zip code.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006 10:49:31 AM »

I checked into Sam's Club since I have a membership with them.  They don't have a solution for my needs, though.  I don't have a land line phone and only use a cell phone.  When I'm doing craft shows, I probably won't have power or a phone line to hook into.

There is supposed to be someone calling me back about another alternative where I can use my cell phone, but it costs $.75 per transaction.  That's ok, I think, for as little as I will use it.  I'll have to see what other costs may be involved.

The next craft show I attend where I'm not a vendor, I'll have to ask when I see a vendor accepting cc's as to what they do.

To my knowledge, I have lost less than a handful of sales b/c I haven't taken cc's.  Most will write a check, ask their shopping buddy for the cash, or go to the bank.  I had one gal walk away last weekend but she was only interested in a $9 simple tote which I sold by cash later, anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...